Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: can it be done with Xara?

Cool

Adobe Illustrator is also the wrong tool. Indesign, QuarkXPress, Microsoft Publisher, Corel Draw, RagTime, iCalamus, Serif PagePlus or Scribus (Open Source) are DTP packages (see also Wikipedia list of Desktop Publishing Software).

Some books and a lot of academic publications are set through Typesetting systems like TeX/LaTeX, instead of a DTP software.

Regards,
    Remi

And there's also Corel Ventura, which is what I use.

Yes illustrator is the wrong tool for sure, I was trying to say that is why adobe made indesign.

Yes, my failure. I read too fast.

Remi

Default Re: can it be done with Xara?:magazine done totally in XX

I could not agree more with Woody about Seif and now you can download PagePlus version 9 for $9.99 that is under £5 and you can export your file as PDF with layers for that amount, see here: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/sof...us/default.asp

With others mentioning Illy as a unsuitable programme to use for Newsletters I have worked in two print shops who have used this programme for reports and other large docs. for everything and that was even with docs. over 200 pages in length. I would never think of Xara or Illy to do that sort of work both are not suited for anything as complex as that which is why we have many DTP programmes are on sale today which gives the user so much more control than any drawing programme would allow.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hmmm... I would think a drawing program whould give you much more control. Those other programs you mentioned might be better at laying out type, but I doubt they could handle graphics any better.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Those other programs you mentioned might be better at laying out type, but I doubt they could handle graphics any better.
    That's why you use a graphics app for your graphics, and a DTP app for type and pages.

Ventura has drawing and bitmap manipulation tools. They come in handy on occasion, but I wouldn't dream of using them for doing the bulk of my graphics work. That's not what they're intended for.

However, Ventura is a whiz when it comes to assembling documents, however complex. It's superb when it comes to handling type. Xara's type tool continues to improve, but it's not up to Ventura's level, and it doesn't necessarily need to be. Only InDesign is better that Ventura regarding type. OTOH, you may not need ID's superduper type tools unless you're doing very high-end or formal work. And personally, I find that Ventura's speed, flexibility and efficiency make it a much more viable choice for my purposes.

In many respects, Ventura is to DTP what Xara is graphics. They're both super at what they do, a joy to use, and very able design partners.

Thanks... One learns something new everyday. Haven't been asked to do more than a couple page flyer and Xpro works great for that. I would not like to use xpro for typing a manuscript tho... It works but isn't great when it comes to proofing.

Printing costs are not cheap, except to a printing company...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I could not agree more with Woody about Seif and now you can download PagePlus version 9 for $9.99 that is under £5 and you can export your file as PDF with layers for that amount, see here: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/sof...us/default.asp
    The latest (February) UK edition of Personal Computer World has Serif Page Plus 8 PDF Edition free on the cover disk. (I don't know how this applies internationally.)