Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Setting page pixels to 72 dpi

In Xtreme Pro how do I set up a page so that it is a 72 dpi.

I seem to only be able to make this setting during export. I'm sure there must be a way to set it somewhere during page set up.

Thanks

Rowby

http://www.rowby.com

Default Re: Setting page pixels to 72 dpi

Sorry Rowby but there is no way to set a page to 72dpi (actually pixels per inch, dots per inch is a printer resolution). Even Apple Macs no longer use that old video format. Adobe seems to be the last company to support it.
    Last edited by Soquili; 15 December 2007 at 10:48 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry but since xara is a vector drawing program it dosn't work that way.

Vectors are not defined by dpi/ppi but by bezier curves - setting the dpi for a bitmap export as you are doing is how it is done in xara.

There are threads around if you do a search on the forum that go into this in some detail.

If there are specific questions you need answering will try and help
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Bill

Nothing lasts forever...

That's okay. So what would be the dpi settings for graphics to be converted to gif or jpg?

if you are exporting for the web the default of 96 dpi should be fine for jpg and gif
    as Bill says - this is the modern standard - most monitors these days are 96dpi

print is a whole different ball-game
    Nothing lasts forever...

If you want to design for 72 pixels per inch in Xara, you have to do some math. Xara internally assumes that your screen is at 96 ppi. If you create a 1/96th inch pixel in Xara, and export it at 96 ppi, you will have one pixel output. If you export it at 72 ppi, it will not quite be a pixel in size (72/96ths of a pixel), so I believe Xara will dither it, taking the companion pixels into account. Therefore, you will want to design your 'pixel' at 96/72" = 1.3333 pixels (=0.0139" height/width) inside Xara, so when you export it at 72 ppi, your pixel turns into 1 pixel of output. Another consideration is that the above assumes that the 'pixel' is placed on an exact pixel increment after the conversion takes place, otherwise dithering across two to four pixels will again occur.

If you are trying to do photorealistic work, the above considerations may help you, because you will need to be working towards your final (printed or nonprinted) output resolution. Usually, though, just work at 96 ppi within Xara, and export at 96 ppi for web work.

Quote Originally Posted by rowby View Post
    That's okay. So what would be the dpi settings for graphics to be converted to gif or jpg?
    Remember, you cannot *see* dpi on a monitor screen, as Bill pointed out DPI is a printer setting.
    Xara's export DPI setting is infact a PPI (Pixels Per Inch) setting which changes the resolution of your picture (pixel scaling/dimensions). PPI can been seen on screen.
    It doesn't matter if there are 300 dot's of print per inch or 100 dots of print per inch, the area is STILL and inch, the quality of the print is better at a higher DPI that's all.
    DPI,PPI,LPI and SPI have been at the root of much confusion and heated debate for years and to be honest I don't see that state changing much.

There are loads of sites online which explain the myth of DPI better than I can.
    Have a look HERE

Finally, a setting you can change is the quality of Xaras live effects via the Options (Ctrl+Shift+O) dialogue as shown below (default new and default locked) which this time correctly refers to the DPI as a print quality setting.

Note on monitors being set at a DPI of something or another. I'm detecting some confusion about this too. Monitors are rated by 'Dot Pitch', which I've also seen referred to as DPI. The higher the number, the sharper the picture/image. DOT PITCH
    Another can of worms....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	effectdpi.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	43734