Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Failed to Read... : Connecting to Xara.com

My XX will not connect to the Xara site, I can't get fills or clipart, etc. I keep getting error messages that it can't connect or retrieve the information.

This is what it says when I try the 'update' link in Help:

Failed to connect Xara.com or failed to read update information.

The fills says:

Unable to download fill folder information. Click on 'get fills' to try again.

I assume it's something I did or didn't do when I installed this?

Is there a way to get any updates without going through the link in the help menu or to get fills, etc. manually?

Thanks, Nancy

Default Re: Failed to Read...

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Those messages usually indicate that you either do not have a connection to the internet or you may be on a network that uses a proxy server that is blocking access.

What type of internet connection do you have?
    Last edited by Soquili; 04 December 2007 at 10:17 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi, thanks for responding. I am on a DSL connection at home. I am the only user. None of my other programs has trouble connecting. Could I have denied something when I setup Xara? Would a reinstall help possibly?

I prefer not to uninstall if it is not necessary though.

Nancy try removing power to your DSL router for a few seconds then power it up again.

My DSL router sometimes will act up especially after a thunderstorm. It will decide to block some IP address. One time it decided I did not need to read any wikipedia pages and blocked them all. Pulling the power cord out of the socket and counting to 30 then plugging it in again clears the problem until the next power fluctuation or thunderstorm.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill is dead right about rebooting your modem/router - definatley worth trying.

Another thing to check that I come across all the time, is a third party firewall is installed. You may have inadvertently given it the wrong answer when it asked about allowing the new outgoing connection when installing XaraXtreme.

If this is the case, you will need to find and edit the rule. This will depend on which firewall software you might be using.

Hopefully Bills suggestion will be the winner

Thank you both. I reboot my DSL modem occasionally but will try that again. The ZoneAlarm rule sounds truer to what may have happened. I don't like my programs trying to access the net when they open so I may have said remember 'no' to Xara.

I don't know how to edit the rule but I'll look around the ZoneAlarm program and see what options it gives me. Thanks. Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    Thank you both. I reboot my DSL modem occasionally but will try that again. The ZoneAlarm rule sounds truer to what may have happened. I don't like my programs trying to access the net when they open so I may have said remember 'no' to Xara.

I don't know how to edit the rule but I'll look around the ZoneAlarm program and see what options it gives me. Thanks. Nancy
    You can turn zonealarm off temporarily from the icon tray on the right side of the taskbar. Find the Zonealarm icon and right click on it. That's wehre the option is.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    You can turn zonealarm off temporarily from the icon tray on the right side of the taskbar.
    I wouldn't do that. The computer could be attacked almost immediately. A better idea would be to go into the ZoneAlarm control panel and look for the list of apps. It should show you what the permissions are for each app. Granted, I haven't used the free version of ZA in several years, and I quit using the pro version after having way too many conflicts and problems with connections, so I can't tell you exactly where it is. You should have access to the list, whatever version you're on.

BTW, I've been using Comodo for 6 or 8 months now, and it seems to be working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    I wouldn't do that. The computer could be attacked almost immediately.
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Thank you Chicken Little!

That's being rather paranoid. The hackers and bad guys aren't waiting around the corner to pounce on every one of the millions of computers on the internet. You seem to have swallowed the paranoia dished out by the companies that sell security software.

Or do you look under the bed at night for the boogie man and ghosties?!?
    Last edited by Doug; 05 December 2007 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    I wouldn't do that.
    Nor would I.

Disconnect from web - disable zone alarm - enable windows firewall - reconnect

Being on the web without a firewall is irresponsible - bad news is automated these days, not a question of someone waiting, but of constant scanning attacks that could pop up anywhere.

And you know what - a lot of these attacks come from machines that have been quietly infected from other machines that were left open in just such a way - and sooner or later someone suffers big-time.

Its not paranoia - its a real problem

Would you walk across the road with your eyes closed and feel safe because you couldn't hear anything coming? Even once?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...