Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought everyone knew that Xara3D5 files have a thumbnail image imbeded. In Windows explorer select view>thumbnails.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soquili:
    I thought everyone knew that Xara3D5 files have a thumbnail image imbeded. In Windows explorer select view>thumbnails. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm the only one that didn't know... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Why don't they show up in other image browsers? I got the XaraX xar file thumb to preview in Thumbs+ by setting it up the same as an eps file, but am not sure what could be done for a x3d file, do you know?

Thanks,
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

Hi Doane,

I obviously made an assumption that turned out to be incorrect, about others knowing about the thumbnail.

I've tried to identify the thumbnails format, but it doesn't have a header that matching .gif, .jpg, or .png files. Maybe Antony or Charles can inform us as to what the format is.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doane:
    I may soon switch to Thumbs+ by Cerious Software: http://www.cerious.com/thumbsplus.shtml
    It doesn't have the blazingly fast thumnail generation as ACDSee but actually has more features, less problems, and though it also can't view xara files, ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will show Xara thumbnails, but you have to tweak it to accept .xar files as TIFF's

For viewing Xara thumbnails and a thousand other reasons, I highly recommend Servant Salamander, a Czech-made file manager which uses Pictview as a plug-in for graphics, including .xar files and pretty much everything else. Fast, clean, stable, endlessly configurable. They have an older version long out of beta, which is a great file manager but doesn't have nearly the graphics viewing capabilities of their highly stable beta versions, which they have been releasing toward their next full version for quite some time. The next beta will probably be released this weekend--I'm betting it will have an integrated FTP client. If you want to try it, I'd suggest waiting a few days for the next beta. They're at www.altap.cz It really is a fantastic product.
    ============================================
    James Riemermann
    MN Office of Tourism
    james.riemermann@state.mn.us

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com
    ============================================

Michael:
    Ed had let us know earlier that you can treat it as an eps file in T+, which does work for the thumbnails; I didn't know you could configure it as a tiff... I just tried and it does work, kinda strange though... you can also configure xar files as tiff, eps, gif, any of them will then allow showing of the thumbnail in Thumbs Plus. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doane:
    I may soon switch to Thumbs+ by Cerious Software: http://www.cerious.com/thumbsplus.shtml
    It doesn't have the blazingly fast thumnail generation as ACDSee but actually has more features, less problems, and though it also can't view xara files, ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will show Xara thumbnails, but you have to tweak it to accept .xar files as TIFF's <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

No problem, and did you see my post to Michael? You can configure xar files as eps, tiff, gif... they all seem to then generate thumbnails in T+, very strange.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soquili:
    Hi Doane,

I obviously made an assumption that turned out to be incorrect, about others knowing about the thumbnail.

I've tried to identify the thumbnails format, but it doesn't have a header that matching .gif, .jpg, or .png files. Maybe Antony or Charles can inform us as to what the format is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, James: I've used ACDSee for years but it's been having some problems with the data base design lately, with some bugs, so I've been looking into other browsers. Have now tested out Thumbs+, CompuPix Delux and XnView and XnView Delux. Am finding they all have different good features but are all lacking in certain areas that I really value in AcDsee, even with its problems. Just took a look at the Servant Salamander screen shots and info on it, it looks good, but the problem I have with it is there is no Preview pane to see the images as you browse through them? Looks like you would have to dbl click on each file to open it to see it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James Riemermann:
    For viewing Xara thumbnails and a thousand other reasons, I highly recommend Servant Salamander, a Czech-made file manager ..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Default Re: Using XaraX1 with ACDSee etc.

While doing a search for browsers/viewers for Xara Xtreme and X3d I found this thread.. I had forgotten all about it.

Anyway, for any of you still interested, Windows XP Explorer will show the thumbs for Xara files, but not for X3d files. A couple of excellent image browsers that will show Xara files are ThumbsPlus http://www.cerious.com/thumbnails.shtml, if you configure the type of file for xar files as an eps file it will show the thumbs. Also, XnView will show Xara thumbs: http://www.xnview.fr/site_uk/index.html
    ACDSee won't, and most other browsers won't.
    None that I know of are capable of showing thumbs of X3d files.

Default Re: Using XaraX1 with ACDSee etc.

I'll second XnView. Its very good and very fast. And free. Result! I only started using it when I found that Photoshop dll patch to enable explorer thumbnails for PS CS was giving me problems as many others have found. I now find that Xn is way better than anything else for file browsing, esp when clients send me CDs and DVDs full of hi res images that I have to browse through. I used to use ACDSee but it became to big and bloated. I dont need another image editor. I already have Photoshop, Fireworks, Picture Publsher, and now Xara edit - so really a good fast file browser is all that required.