Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Using photos for print?

Quote Originally Posted by Manoj View Post
    ...But with xxp the pic just covers all of the page when I pull it in...
    There is an option which may be related to what you discuss shown in the image below. When deselected, images import with a physical size that results in the original resolution. When selected, the physical size is altered so that the resolution becomes 96 dpi.

It specifically refers to JPGs, but I'm not sure whether it also applies to other image formats. If it does, the name should be changed; if not, I can't see why not.

Ok, it turns out that it's the latter case that's true. Why would only support for JPGs be provided and not pngs etc.?

Xhris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_1 option.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	43415  

I would have no idea why they would need that high a DPI. An 8X10 at 1200 DPI would gag PS on most computers. I wonder if there is a resonably priced scanner that will do 1200 DPI optical accurately. You are not going to get 1200 DPI 8X10 digital camera any time soon.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

It doesn't mater if a square inch is covered by 100 dots or 1200 dots. It's still a square inch. DPI (Dots Per Inch) is a printer setting and relates to print quality, not print size or image size.
    You'll find that PhotoShop rightly calls it PPI (Pixels/Inch) - which of course changes the image spatial resolution.
    CorelPhotoPaint lets' you change DPI without changing image resolution (for screen) or byte size, because DPI is a measure of print quality. I can take a dcam pic (standard 72DPI) and change it to 1200DPI if I wish. Of course, this can still be overidden by the RIP or even the home printer.

Here's a simple explanation
    And one from a Photographers POV
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP_DPI.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	43427  
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 29 November 2007 at 09:16 PM.