Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Charles, great to hear! On getting XX1, I immediately tried the AI export - and saw, to my disappointment, that it was still the old AI 7.0 format which XX uses.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Yea!!!!! Output routines in plugins! Now that is great! Now people like Dmitry can get rich as heck just writing a plugin or two. Follow on pricing... Buy the outputs you need, and forget the rest. I do not presently need a CAD interface, so why should I have to pay for one. The more specialized inputs/outputs can be bought by the 4 people who need them. Why make the rest of us pay for these interfaces when we do not need them.
    John/DOT

I'm in way above my head here but what about tackling the problem from a different angle: namely creating an Illustrator and/or Photoshop plug-in that could IMPORT Xara files...

As I said, not usually my table... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Carygee,

great idea! However, Adobe won't publish their internal file specs.

But there is already an international (industry) standard: *.eps. Why try to complicate a process if there already is a standard for a solution?

It doesn't bother me to print a file instead of exporting it - just a few clicks more, but a lot more control!
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens,

Perhaps you could tell us where we can get this Linotronic Printer driver?

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Christine,

There are a lot of printers in Windows. Settings - Printers - Add printer - Choose Linotronic.

By the way, I use Scitex Brisque PS-printer. It's don't matter which printer you use http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Christine,

if you are running Windows 2000 Pro or XP, just click start -> printers -> add printer, scroll down the list to Linotronic, select the 630 and hit enter to install it. The driver comes with the OS, that means it's already installed in your system. If not, Windows will ask you to insert the program CD.

I've made a bunch of screen shots on how to set up the printer driver - you can download the zip file here: http://jens.highspeedweb.net/samples/gs-printing.zip

Just go through the pics from 01 to whatever, and enjoy the results.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Thanks Jens and Alexander - it never occurred to me to look on the install printers option.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:
    ok guys, here we go with a rock solid solution:

install the Linotronic 630 printer driver, port = file. Now print your drawing with the Lino driver. Check all the options of the driver very carefully - that means in the PostScript section enable 'Encapsulated PostScript' and download soft fonts.

Now print your drawing to a file. Give it a name with the extent *.eps*.

Open and check your result with GhostScript. **Every bit of your drawing is in the file**!

Now try to open it with a new Adobe product. Chances are high that Adobe Illustrator will start caughing. The reason: the inventors of PostScript do **not** stick to their own standards...

So please don't blame Xara for this bug, call Adobe and kick them into their b..ts.

As Charles said: it's like chasing a moving target. Adobe is similar to Microsoft: they love to include non-standard features into their apps, but they don't tell you for obvious reasons.

As long as your exported (=printed) file will display flawlessly in GhostScript, the file adheres 100% to the PS standard and you should tell your customers to give the Adobe tech support a hard time.

As weird as it is, if you place an *.eps file you've created with the Lino printer driver in Pagemaker, it prints excellent. But Pagemaker is kind of outdated, meaning it doesn't feature these little extras of the new Adobe products, thus handling a correct eps the way it should be handled. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info Jens,

The company that I work for just purchased Adobe Creative Suite. So I have the latest version of Illustrator. Do you know if there is a problem using InDesign? We have Pagemaker as well, I think it is version 7, not sure but I know it is the latest version. Anyway, I think I will try that today and see what happens. Let you know and again, thanks for the info.

John

John,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Adobe Creative Suite <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha.Ha. That's a good joke. Typical for that braindead company. Don't be mislead by the word 'creative'. A software can't be creative. Either you have a creative mind and brain, or you should check for another job, but definitely not rely on Adobe. Or am I in the wrong movie: did they integrate a 'creativity bell' that rings after you've activated some kind of 'creative wizard'? If so please let me know.

Don't ask me if it works with InDesign - I've purchased the complete line of Adobe products, but didn't have the time to dig through the steep learning curve and sold everything. The last stuff I trashed was Acrobat. All test have been performed at my printers company - they still run Adobe stuff (and they regret it every time they watch me playing with Xara on my laptop with speeds they never can come close to.

Oh yes, pls let me know if the ultra-brand-new Illustrator will import the *.eps file without caughing or sneezing!
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--