Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Scratch Drive Is Full?

I have been using Adobe Photo for at least 6 years and I have never had this error. I do a lot of contact sheets for my publications. The folders that I use for contact sheets have anywhere from 50 to 200 photos. Recently I have encountered a problem with Photoshop completing the request. It will get to about 60 photos and then give an error that the Scratch Drive is full and cannot complete the contact sheet. My machine has 3 gigs of Ram and 400 gigs of hard drive space with 200 gigs of space free. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    IP

Default Re: Scratch Drive Is Full?

Have you checked your preferences to see how much of that free space you are allowing PS to use. Scratch disk is just temporary ram. If you run out of memory it uses your hard disk as ram instead of the memory modules.
    Ideally a seperate disk is used for this, or a partition. If you are using one disk for this and working on big files, you should at least ensure PS can use a large chunk of the HD. You can set this in the Preferences.
    Mind you, your system should be able to run with the default allocation, which I think is 25%. However, unless your working with a number of other apps open at the same time as PS, you can increase this significantly. I have less ram and considerably less HD space than you, so set my system to 88%, but rarely have other apps open with PS.

Sark
    Last edited by Sark; 15 November 2007 at 02:43 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Scratch Drive Is Full?

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    If you are using one disk for this and working on big files, you should at least ensure PS can use a large chunk of the HD. You can set this in the Preferences.

Sark
    Edit...OOPs...That should have read RAM, not HD.
    IP