Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default how to query server information?

I was wondering if theres a way to query a website domain and get server information such as IP, Webserver (these are easy ones I know) but then also what scripting services might be working or loaded, such as PHP (sometimes domains hide .php extension) also if there's a CMS detected.

thanks for any assistance.

I feel like I had this really cool tool once that did all that, and I can't seem to find it in my bookmarks.

Default Re: how to query server information?

Here's one, but still finding CMS and scripting info would be nice.

http://oyoy.eu/firefox/se/

I'm just curious:
    for what purpose would you want this info?

anyhow, there might be something like it on the offical firefox extention site...dunno

it's to know what you might be getting yourself into before opting in to redesigning a site. Or if you like a site, maybe interested how it's made efficiently, could you find out what CMS it's running.

Let's say a site is using ASP right, you can tell. But if you want to know the server actually has PHP running too. Could you find out. That way you'll know if your CMS or wiki or whatever might work.

make sense?

This is server specific and dependent on the hosting account you have.
    Most hosts have cpanel installed for account holders admin' purposes.

For detailed PHP version/config info you can create a file in a text editor, copy and paste the following command:
    <?php phpinfo(); ?>

Save it as test.php

Upload the file to the root directory of your site. Then type in the address to the file in your browser:
    http://example.com/testphp.php
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cpanel.png 
Views:	335 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	43037  

There is hardly a way to tell which CMS is running if the construction of the URL or the source doesn't reveal it.

I would say that you raise security a lot by providing standard URL and keeping your source clean. So do not expect good designed site to hand out that much information.

If you are in discussions with a (potential) customer, you can ask for the needed information anyway. If you just like the site, ask the webmaster ...

Juergen