Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Deleted stale lock file '/home/josheby/.XARA-XTREME-XW-xaralx-josheby'

I have installed Xara LX on Ubuntu 7.10 and it installed completely fine. But when I try to run it I get the following error.

Deleted stale lock file '/home/josheby/.XARA-XTREME-XW-xaralx-josheby'

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
    IP

Default Re: Deleted stale lock file '/home/josheby/.XARA-XTREME-XW-xaralx-josheby'

Hello Josheby,

I have not used Linux for awhile but that error message can simply be acknowledged by clicking the OK button and then using the program.

If my memory serves the lock file is simply to prevent another instance of XaraLX from running. For some reason the file created the last time the program was run was not removed when you closed the program. When you start a new instance and the program determines the lock file is 'stale' it is removed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: Deleted stale lock file '/home/josheby/.XARA-XTREME-XW-xaralx-josheby'

Indeed. Xara LX creates a lock file when it starts so it knows whether another copy of LX is around if you double click on a .xar file (to avoid running a second copy, the new copy then just tells the old copy to load the file). The lock file is removed when the program exits. However, if the program crashes, the lock file doesn't get removed, so when you start it again, it thinks the old program is about, tries (and fails) to communicate with it, and reports the problem. It's possibly being a bit OTT in reporting it, but it's sometimes useful to know if LX is not exiting cleanly (for instance if it crashes during shutdown).
    IP