Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot scroll down, left, or right

After using the magnifier to zoom to 100% (to be able to click on an object at the bottom of the page that is very small), I am unable to scroll down, left, or right past about 3/4 of the whole drawing. Doesn't happen in Corel Draw (9), but I prefer the speed of Xara Xtreme. Recently upgraded to 3.2 from 2.0 thinking this would fix the bug, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Oh, Yeah, right after I posted, read Gary Priester's recent post on scrolling (right click on scroll bar). This has no effect on ability to scroll down (or over) beyond a certain point.
    Last edited by OakKnollie; 24 October 2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Default Re: Cannot scroll down, left, or right

Hi OakKnollie and welcome to TG,

I'm not so certain what you've described is a bug at all. It's likely just a different way of working than you've been accustomed to with CD.

Having said that, I'm not altogether certain about what you see as the problem?
    When I have (say) an A4 page open at 100%, I can certainly scroll the entire canvas in every direction to reach all parts of the page.

All I can imagine is that you wish to scroll so far as to loose the entire page from the screen view and be left only with the grey-space?

Have I understood correctly?

like Sledger I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but in utilities menu - options - page tab increasing the outer margin usually fixes scrolling problems.
    Xara will not scroll beyond its margins - this is design, not bug.
    You can also use the push tool?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve, good catch - I forgot about the 'outer margin' setting

Thanks for the quick reply, Sledger.
    Is it possible that the drawing is just TOO large to be edited when in a zoom mode larger than 50%? I started with a huge .png image, then with the bitmap-tracer (in Xtreme ver. 2.0), brought it into my drawing. I often wondered why the old Xara, and now Xtreme ver 3.2 just offers certain sizes of drawings with the largest being A4. I just assumed that when I converted the bitmap to a vector, the drawing size would be expanded to accomodate. This inability to scroll down beyond a certain point happens on all of the large .png images brought into Xtreme, not just a single one.

Smile Re: Cannot scroll down, left, or right

Steve, you hit it right on the nail. I expanded the margins, then no prob. I guess the reason for my confusion was that in 50% mode, I was able to see the entire drawing, even though it went beyond the margins.
    Thanks to both you and Sledger for great support.

Well you can import an image which is up to 9ft x 9ft if you wish!
    You can change the page size to whatever you like by setting the dimensions manually to your custom size (Options: Ctrl+Shift+O)
    A4 is certainly not the largest Xara will handle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custompagesize.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	42634  

Quote Originally Posted by OakKnollie View Post
    Steve, you hit it right on the nail. I expanded the margins, then no prob. I guess the reason for my confusion was that in 50% mode, I was able to see the entire drawing, even though it went beyond the margins.
    Thanks to both you and Sledger for great support.
    Pleasure - caused me a scratched head or two when I first started

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Steve, good catch - I forgot about the 'outer margin' setting
    I have big margins by default for my projects: 1768pix - use the pasteboard a lot
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've always been faulted for taking things too literally, so my suggestion would be that one of the choices for a new file would also be "Custom", which would then let you enter the exact dimensions (instead of this)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	42636  
    Last edited by OakKnollie; 24 October 2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Can't include graphic

you can make your own templates - theres a limit to how many templates in total xara will list though - think its 12?

I have one with page size 600 pix by 200 pix for example.
    Save as Save Template from file menu
    Nothing lasts forever...