Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default pdf export on 3.2

I upgraded to Xara 3.24 and now when I export a pdf I lose my transparencies. I'm sure this is simple as usual, so what am I doing wrong. Thanks for your help.

Default Re: pdf export on 3.2

Hi riburton,

I don't think PDF files like transparencies. Do a search on PDF + Transparency, you might get the idea.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I absolutely know that before I upgraded to 3.2 I could export my pdfs with transparencies because I was doing it all the time. I went to the help section of Xara (duh) and found this:

"The General Options tab in the PDF Export Filter provides a range of settings that can be configured to specify PDF document attributes including version compatibility, how content is encoded and which pages are to be rendered.

PDF Version compatibility
    The PDF Export Filter supports versions 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 of the PDF format to ensure compatibility with a wide range of applications. Unless PDF version 1.3 compatibility is required, select PDF version 1.4 or greater as the output format as this will provide support for transparency."

I thought I had it but I exported with versions 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 and still got the same results, no transparency.

For some reason, Quark Express will not import the pdf made from version 1.6. I need help.

I still have my old version of Xara Extreme on my machine and I brought it up and exported my file to a pdf and it worked just as it always has. The transparency came out ok in the pdf. Why does it not work in 3.24?

I just tried it and it worked with these settings custom, Adobe 7 1.6, untick for fast web, bitmap compression to none, opened in AI fine...tao
    Attached Files Attached Files

Same here. I tried old and new XXtremes and both exported transparency in pdf.
    Erik

Please remember that it is better to export transparencies in CMYK doc. as PDF X-1a and that it will be rendered as a bitmap on output. It works no problem other than what I stated.
    Last edited by Albacore; 24 October 2007 at 01:19 PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Well I don't know what it is with my version. I have tried it every way and still cannot export a pdf with the transparency. Now my old version does not do it either. It always comes up with the white background showing on the pdf. I'm stumped. I have to export as a tiff to go to print.

Take 10 minutes and do a remove and reinstall of xara x1 and xpro.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook