Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Which tool of choice do use to draw a line?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shape Editor Tool

29 63.04%
  • Pen Tool

13 28.26%
  • Freehand Tool

4 8.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you use the Shape Editor Tool or the Pen Tool?

In a recent thread it was discussed regarding users preferences for either the Shape Editor Tool or the Pen Tool or the Freehand Tool. Personally in all the years I've been using Xara I've never used the pen tool. I thought it would be interesting to run a poll on your preferred tool.

So, which tool of choice to you use to draw lines?
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 18 October 2007 at 03:18 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Do you use the Shape Editor Tool or the Pen Tool?

I voted for Pen Tool, because I use it most of the time to draw a shape. But if you ask for the tool, to draw a straight line, then I prefer the Freehand Tool together with STRG+Alt.

Remi

I use only the Shape Editor Tool for shapes, and a combination of the
    Shape Editor Tool + Ctrl Key for straight vertical or horizontal lines.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I use the shape editor tool because you have more control. I never use the freehand or pen tools.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

I use the Pen Tool to create the basic shape quickly, then the Shape Editor Tool to refine the shape.

If I try using the Shape Editor Tool to create the basic shape my cusp nodes randomly change to curved nodes and change the shape.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I use the shape editor tool almost 100% of the time, occasionally I will use the freehand tool for when I want a looser more 'natural' line.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I usually use the freehand tool and come back to edit with the shape editor tool, though I use the pen tool too on occasion.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

always used the pen tool but whats the differnce between the two (shape editor and pen tool) for say cutting out a part of a photo?

I use the shape editor tool all the time. In fact I have never used either the freehand tool (except to edit stroke width) or the pen tool, but then again my drawings tend to have a technical lean, which leads to straight lines and regular curves rather than freehand shapes. Can someone explain to me what advantage/disadvantages each have.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yes, it is a pain to keep having to go back to the freehand tool in order to access line shapes, I tried keeping the line gallery open all the time, but there is no provision to make the icons smaller so it takes up a lot of space and you often have to scroll around the gallery to find the line you want.

You know what would be really great? Speaking as someone who does a LOT of linework, the option to assign hotkeys to favourite line shapes, I generally use only four or five shapes for 80% of my lines. No doubt that is pie in the sky and not something most would find useful LOL!