Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Crash on Exit Under Vista Home Premium

Hi, is anyone else experiencing this? Every time I exit Xara Xtreme PRO v3.2, Vista reports a crash and next time I start Xara the last file I was working on is not in the recent files list and the last set of paths I used have not been remembered. i.e. It definitely does crash on exit. This is completely consistent and happens every time I close Xara. I did a bit of a search on the forums and most problems seem to be with UAC. It seems likely that this is too, if Xara writes those things to the registry, but it is not such a big hassle that I would turn off UAC if it is the culprit. I'm just wondering why there isn't a huge thread about it.

Default Re: Crash on Exit Under Vista Home Premium

Some earlier version 3's required that you 'Run As Administrator.
    This allows Xara to write to the registry (amongst other things)
    More recent versions run in Vista without problems, at least there's been no more error reports since the post July updates afaik.

I have to run as admin all the time when using XPro. I have tried to set the programme up DPE exception list but it still crashes on exit. Although I don't like running in admin for security reasons it is the only way I can get it to work.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    Hi, is anyone else experiencing this? Every time I exit Xara Xtreme PRO v3.2, Vista reports a crash and next time I start Xara the last file I was working on is not in the recent files list and the last set of paths I used have not been remembered. i.e. It definitely does crash on exit. This is completely consistent and happens every time I close Xara. I did a bit of a search on the forums and most problems seem to be with UAC. It seems likely that this is too, if Xara writes those things to the registry, but it is not such a big hassle that I would turn off UAC if it is the culprit. I'm just wondering why there isn't a huge thread about it.
    Hi,

We are aware of this issue which was caused by changes in a recent Vista Windows Update, it is fixed in forthcoming patches.

The patches are now available. See the sticky at the top of this forum.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thumbs up Re: Crash on Exit Under Vista Home Premium

Ack! I have to start looking at the top of the list.

Thanks for pointing that out Egg.

Installed. And for the first time in a long time, Xara does not produce that error message.

Gary

Well, by some weird kind of osmosis or something, Xara has simply started working properly for no apparant reason since I posted this. Still, installing a patch won't hurt so I may as well get to it.
    On further investigation, it seems that where I do a "Save as" [instead of just plain "Save"], Xara seems happy with the file and closes normally, so I definitely need that patch.

i had that problem for a short while and what i'd recommend is to adjust your pc for best performance (not quality) also changing your ram is a biggie aswell i went from 2 gig 533mhz to 4 gig 800 mhz and no crashes since (This was about 2 months ago)

just my 2 cents

The patch solved my problems so its all good now.