Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Dodge & Burn

Default Dodge & Burn

I've seen what seems like 3000 tuorials ( ok, maybe a few less) of using these tools in that other program to accomplish an edgy and starker feels to parts of an image, a big part of the tool of wedding, fashion, and other graphics people. It gives a street-y feel, a grundge look, a look that mimics fiilters used by some cutting-edge photogs, and basically allows you to selectively affect limited parts of the image, bit by bit.

What is the equivalent workaround in Xara? Which pay- or free- plugin can be used to do this to an imported image? Is there a way to juryrig this effect using on-board xara tools?

thanks

Default Re: Dodge & Burn

If you were to set a raster editor that has D&B filters built-in (PS for example) as your bitmap editor for Xara (instead of the default XPE: Ctrl+Shift+O then choose the 'Effects & Plugins' tab and see section 'Editing Bitmaps') you ought to be able to accomplish this easily.

Also freeware such as 'The Gimp' has, I believe D&B filters.
    There may be others..

I don't know about plugins, but the transparency types "stained glass" and "bleach" do similar things to multiply and screen in Pshop

How would you apply that? I suppose copying the part of an image or even all of the image and giving it the appropriates transparency type then adjust the effect by adjusting the overall transparency. Or creating a shape to fit the area you want to effect and feathering the edges.

Bleach is similar to screen and stained glass is similar to multiply. Not exactly the same as dodge and burn burn similar effects can be achieved.

They can be stacked and combined with other transparency types to get lots of various effects.

Maybe there are plugins to do this more easily, but I know nothing about plugins.

Tallis, as far as i know thereīs no equivalents of the dodge/burn tools you find in photoshop and other similar programs in Xara Xtreme.
    I would love to see it implemented as two new transparency types using the grayscale information of a shape (with correspondent fill) to selectively burn or dodge the underlaying objects/colors.

Iīve been trying/researching to get the same effect with Xara default tools, but itīs kinda complicated to use the process in a large/complex illustration because it envolves too much work and shapes to be usefull (and the results arenīt that great and difficult to edit).

I remember iīve started a thread regarding this subject a long time ago and there was some discussion around it but nothing more unfortunately.
    Hopefully this thread may bring new interest to the subject and who knows...
    Last edited by MEB; 17 October 2007 at 10:29 PM.

Two possible ways to recreate the dodge and burn tools from PS...

1. Use lighten and darken transparencies of part of the image, then feather it in.

2. Draw a shape (light color to lighten and dark color to darken) and use an eliptical transparency. You actually have much more control over the actual color/shading than with PS... PS is just easier to point and click and click, and click, and click, ad nauseum...

The lastest example of this is the "sonic waves eminating from the tuna fork" although I used linear transparencies to create the waves...http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=29740&page=3.

Moluca (Rich) is one of the experts here on working with transpariencies to do things with bitmaps.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    Two possible ways to recreate the dodge and burn tools from PS...

1. Use lighten and darken transparencies of part of the image, then feather it in.

2. Draw a shape (light color to lighten and dark color to darken) and use an eliptical transparency. You actually have much more control over the actual color/shading than with PS... PS is just easier to point and click and click, and click, and click, ad nauseum...

The lastest example of this is the "sonic waves eminating from the tuna fork" although I used linear transparencies to create the waves...http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=29740&page=3.
    John,
    The first process only changes the lightness value of the colors. (It isnīt the same as the dodge tool in Photoshop).
    The second process is faking the effect trought the use of diferent colors choosed by you (It may work, but you must really know what colors to choose to get the effect looking fine).

The burn and dodge tools must affect the hue, saturation and lightness value of the colors at the same time.
    Last edited by MEB; 17 October 2007 at 11:48 PM.