Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help with Pushpin Tutorial

Dear Forum,

I am trying to work through Gary's Pushpin Tutorial, However one of the stages needs the pin and two half ellipses to be sliced. When I try to slice them the pin disappears. What am a doing wrong.

Enclosed drawing to date.

While writing, part of this tutorial needed two rectangles added along the centrelines of circles. Are these supposed to be added by eye, or is there a way of ensuring that they are in the right position.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Default Re: Help with Pushpin Tutorial

Kieth,

Somewhere along the steps you'd selected the pin shape and converted Line to Shape. I've corrected it for you and left your original across to the left. Go to wire frame, with your original selected, zoom close into the top of the pin and hit the shape editor tool so you can see the double nodes.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg.

I converted the line to a shape because at the bottom of page 4 of the tutorial it says "From the Arrange menu, select Convert Line to Shape. The line is now converted to a filled shape." Is that wrong!
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No your correct but you must have missed out a stage to arrive at the shape you got.

Look at the attached xar file for the correct sequence of steps.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Keith,

Here's another way of achieving the rectangle and ellipses query you asked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	280 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	42331  
    Egg

This method is very handy for joining different sized ellipses as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	268 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	42332  
    Egg

Keith

The two curved lines need to be on top. Right now they are underneath the pin shape.

The top most object always does the trimming.

Select both curved lines and bring them to the front (Ctrl f). Then do your slicing.

Gary

Not sure where I went wrong, but will back up a few steps and reinsert the pin. Experimenting with the Line to shape that Egg attached, and adding lines to slice, didn't give the results I expected either. It seems that I can pick on line and the pin to slice and it works well. However, if I pick two lines and the pin only one of them slices. I then have to pick the second line and the sliced pin to complete the slicing - Is that correct. I seem to remember a tutorial on slicing a while ago but can't seem to find it. Will let you know how things work out.
    Keith

Keith

Slice in two steps, once with each line.

You can group the two lines and then Subtract Shapes with the group. But then you need to Break Shapes.

Gary

Egg/Gary,

OK everything seems to be working fine now.

Now I have to add all the tones etc. Hopefully they will work just fine.

Thank you for all your help.
    Keith