Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cutout treated as a fill

OK the tropical heat has got to me and I've lost my mind (.. must be useing someones elses?)

Each time I use the ellipse, rectangle or select tool to cut out an object from a bitmap (ctrl+4) the result is treated as a bitmap fill within the shape I just created?? It has the fill object handles and everything. I can move, rotate etc the bitmap inside the shape, just like a fill or clipview.... (no keyhole though)
    This is only when running XXP in WindowsXP, not in Vista (I have a dual boot machine).

I've looked for a toggle I may have 'bumped' - but obviously keep missing it

I feel so stupid
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 13 October 2007 at 07:50 AM.

Default Re: Cutout treated as a fill

I get this too in X1 and winXP. Funny. Maybe it's because a bitmap can only be square/rectangle shaped, so this is how Xara solves the dilemma. Why it doesn't work that way in Vista? No idea. Maybe Vista has got some new abilities that allow complex bitmap shapes

Note: I've just woken up, so if the above explanation makes no sense just ignore it

Interesting, I never noticed that before. Could be handy for "post-slice tweaking", I suppose. (The slice ends up in the bitmap gallery as a standard bitmap though, i.e. not a fill).
    -- Bob

Out of curiosity, what happens in Vista? And what happens when you save this file and open it in win XP?

In Vista I don't get the clipview affect when I draw a shape over a photo and then cookie-cut it (select both the shape and photo, hit ctrl+4) If done and saved in Vista and opened in XP I get the same thing as if I'd worked only in XP.

It's definately a toggle/setting I've bumped and can't find (because I don't know what I did) as I installed on another PC today (out of curiosity) running XP and the result is the same as I get in Vista now.

I'll live with it untill I find what I did...
    (I've a feeling it happened after I messed around with that Bending Fills With Graphics thread)
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 14 October 2007 at 10:45 AM.