Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Importing PNG image

Hi All,

I am a new user of Xara Xtreme. I tried to import a PNG file into Xara. The original image size is 240px * 34px, however after I import into Xara (using File-> Import), the image size becomes 77px * 11px. It doesn't happen to JPG image though.

Is there anyway I could import a PNG image and get the exact image size in XARA?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidebar_header.png 
Views:	332 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	42173  

Default Re: Importing PNG image

Your attached graphic has a high resolution.

Opening your graphic in IrfanView, it reports that it has a resolution of 300dpi. This is born out when importing into Xtreme which reports a resolution of 297dpi (Status Bar).

Select your graphic in Xtreme, then set the width (W on the Infobar) to 240pix, ensuring that the 'Lock aspect ratio' button is selected. This will show your graphic at the correct size at a resolution of 96(ish)dpi.
    -- Bob

Welcome to the Extreme Conference.

Is your zoom factor set to 100%? Xara imports PNG files at the actual print size. So oif your image is 7 x 5" at 300dpi, the image should import at 7 x 5" at 100%.

JPEGs import at 96dpi (Windows screen resolution) which can be a problem if you have a very large image at a high resolution.

There is a setting to make JPEGs come in at their print size in the Utilities > Page Options > View menu. If this option (shown in green) is checked, JPEG images import at 96dpi.

Does this answer your question?

Gary

Name:	import-JPEG.gif 
Views:	258 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	42236  

Mmmm..., soochinhong's graphic looks like this when I import it into Xtreme (100% zoom), which, I believe, is what he is describing.

Gary, forgive me for being a bit thick, but are you saying that as it is a PNG, I should see it displayed at it's correct size, regardless of the resolution?

...or have I got the wrong end of the stick - again!

Name:	grab.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	42264  
    -- Bob

The only reliable method is to import/paste in your bitmap, then immediately delete it. Go to the Bitmap Gallery and then drag a copy of the bitmap into your document.

Sounds longwinded but it's not - I've been doing it for 10 years, believe me, you hardly notice after a while