Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default editing old files

I have been asked to edit / update some old files that were produced in Pre Pro versions of XaraXtreme.
    When editing these old files, exclusively text, there is a real slow down. Entering text gives you time to look up and see the first character appear and then the rest of the text complete itself as if on a delay.
    Changing layers within these older files is also on an apparent go slow as in selecting or unselecting a layer seeming to take a second or so where as normally it would be instant.
    Drawings from whatever period do not seem to be affected in anyway only old documents containing text. New documents with as much text as you like will be fin
    This slowdown in editing does not occur when I move the document to another machine which seems to indicate there is something peculiar about the one PC. I’ve reinstalled Xara and the problem has persisted. In fact it’s persisted across a complete clean reinstall of windows on this machine which makes the problem seems very particular to this particular PC. (XP Pro, SP2 Dual Core with 2 gig Ram.)

Could there be a problem with Fonts or perhaps the graphics card?? Suggestions on areas to investigate welcome.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 05 October 2007 at 03:14 PM.

Default Re: editing old files

Never mind I've found the problem which just entailed looking for it basically.
    If the Name Gallery was open when editing older files everything slowed down. It has no effect on new files of course but I'd never made the connection before and I generally keep Name, Layer and Line Galleries open and docked for much of the time, not any more though.
    Derek

Default Re: editing old files

Good bug hunting Derek!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host