Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feathering a shape!

Although I love some of the powerfull features that coralDRAW X3 has I'm have trouble finding some of the things I had in Xara.

Anyone know how I find how to feather a shape?
    IP

Default Re: Feathering a shape!

You beat me to it. I'd like to know this too.
    Where I do some part-time work they're buying a MIMAKI wide-format printer and want everyone to learn to use CDX3. So far (one day) - I hate it
    IP

I have found that you can apply an interactive drop-shadow and adjust the shadow feathering. Then you can break shadow group apart (ctrl+K) and have the shadow as a seperate object (shape). You can then re colour this from the default grey to whatever you like, leaving you with basically a feathered shape.
    IP

You can try an Interactive Transparency as well. Although, the transparent blend won't match your shape unless it's something simple, like say a circle. Anything but a circle is not allowed. There are a few other options, but not one that will match the shape of your object.

You could also try a Blend from an opaque shape to a transparent shape. Just keep the number of steps high enough to make it look smooth.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Seems funny Xara has this function as a handy desktop slider and you have to find workarounds on CorelDRAW X3. Or is it the "same old same old" of Corel buying a product and then doing very little development work on it?

I believe the xara engine and the coralDraw engine have the same grandparents???
    IP

Seems to me that CorelDraw is
    the bastard father of the Xara daughter...
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

I actually think Corel just licensed Xara here in the US so they could steal features.

I don't think they share the same engine. If they did, DRAW wouldn't be so freakin slow!

It is true though that you have to have an arsenal of work arounds when using DRAW. It's a good app, just way to slow for my work.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

Install this Macro in your GMS folder and apply it with a keystroke. Speeds things up a little.

Sark
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Thanks Sark - will give it a try..
    IP

One other point.

CorelDraw is primarily geared towards multi page layouts and the print industry. It is far more featured than Illustrator and considerably more so than Xara. Not everybody needs all these features, and they can sometimes make Draw appear a little more bloated. I've used both AI & Xara and have always comeback to Draw even though I use it primarily for Drawing only.

Once customised I still find it easier and more efficient than other apps. This is personal preferance of course, but as a strong critic myself in the past of some of its issues, I now realise much of this was just a lack of experience with the program. For example: Node editing drop Shadows (and the blur workaround) can be a little sluggish, this is because Draws default Rendering Resolution that effects the Drop shadow bitmaps is 300dpi. Change it to 72dpi and things fly. You can always change it back prior to saving, or printing.

I've had CD12 installed for over 18 months on Win2K without a single crash, or major issue. But I do agree that a Blur/Feather function should be a future consideration.

Sark
    IP