Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: EPS export

Default EPS export

I have been through the EPS export business with my machead printer friends. I export to a high-res bitmap whenever possible, especially if I'm using gradients, transparencies, soft shadows glows, etc. I tried the PDF/x export and looked at the resulting PDF up close -- the gradients and shadows appeared to have been bitmapped (This would have been OK if only the fills were bitmapped -- it also bitmapped the edges and borders of gradient objects), so I tried a traditional PDF using my Acrobat version 4 Distiller. The resulting PDF had all the gradients, etc., as thousands upon thousands of separate objects. Not very handy, since it was a very large file and took awhile to paint on my screen. I'm sure the mac/Illustrator user on the other end wouldn't appreciate getting this file from me.

So I've resorted to bidding on Illustrator 9 on ebay. Question... how does XaraXtreme (latest version) do on AI export re the above functions? Does Illustrator pull in the file cleanly, or will I have to spend time redoing gradients and shadows? I do lots of work for print — I've done graphics on a PC since 1989, if you can believe it — and the PC and mac worlds don't seem any closer today than they were then.

Thanks, all. Nice forum.
    Last edited by nezgraphics; 04 October 2007 at 08:41 PM.