Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Going to the printer for the first time

I'm hoping I can get some help from some of you who work in the graphics industry.

I am preparing some envelope graphics to go to the printer using Xara Xtreme.

They require certain things. From what I've read of their guidelines I am going to need to make it into a PDF file. That's not the issue, the issue is I don't understand what they mean by this:please embed all fonts, images etc.

Any help appreciated,

Jen

Default Re: Going to the printer for the first time

It not the first time that I have taken a doc. to a printer and forgot to link or include graphics or fonts. What it means that in Adobe type programmes the default is to Link graphics and text to a doc and not to embed like it does in XPro which means when you make up your disc to take to the printers you have to include everything associated with that file I should have imagined that this was started because of copyright of fonts etc. So don't worry when you make up your PDF, select Advance Options down at the bottom, then click on the 2nd tab under Objects, and then tick click "Convert Text to Shapes" and this will make the text as well as the graphics embeded.
    Design is thinking made visual.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Question Re: Going to the printer for the first time

Jen, are you using Xtreme3.2 or Xtreme2? Does your printer have an envelope adjustment?
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Thanks for the advice. I'm using Xara Xtreme 3.2

Jen

WW can I be the first to ask, "what is envelope adjustment"
    Design is thinking made visual.

Mightyfun said:
    I am preparing some envelope graphics to go to the printer using Xara Xtreme.
    Albacore asked:
    WW can I be the first to ask, "what is envelope adjustment"

United States Patent 5088407
    "An envelope making machine includes a printer for printing material on the envelope blanks as they are being formed into envelopes in the machine. The printer has printing modules which include an impression cylinder, a plate or type cylinder, an anilox roll and a fountain roll. The fountain roll is positioned adjacent to and rotates in a direction opposite to the anilox roll and upon rotation transfers a film of ink to the surface of the anilox roll. A distributor or doctor blade is positioned below the anilox roll and has a blade edge portion that is approximately in juxtaposition with a lower quadrant of the anilox roll and faces the direction of rotation of the anilox roll to control and distribute the film of ink on the surface of the anilox roll. An adjustment device is provided to adjust the thickness of the film of ink on the anilox roll. The adjustment device is operable to make adjustments in the ink film thickness while the machine is operating."
    Source: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5088407.html

What all that means is in some cases, usually more expensive high quality printing, envelopes are printed flat and then folded and the glue added in the bindery process. If a stationery design had a foil stamp and/or an emboss, it would not appear on the back of the envelope. This process was known as the envelopes being "converted".

Gary

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Arrow Re: Going to the printer for the first time

I was referring to the adjustable tabs in the print tray, sorry I didn't clarify. Although I'd like to think that SledgerS quote is what I meant... gArys explination is good one too! Now you've got all the answers JEn!

Some printers are more versatile than others & allow (pre-made) envelopes to stack in the print tray, adjusting the tabs for fit, allowing consistent printing of the envelope. Then all you have to do is make you a print template in xara for that particular printer.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE