Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: More new version requests: Original ideas

Thanks for those keys Jon, I just tried them out, excellent!

Don't ask me why I didn't try using the delete key before - it seems obvious now, but - I never claimed to be smart! That will save me burning up a few brain cells everytime I do line work.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    I use the colour editor a lot and a quicker way to toggle between editing line or fill colour would be great. Is it possible to have the eye dropper and 'no-colour' checkbox follow the left and right click convention for fill or line colour editing?
    Great idea! maybe right-clicking a color in the color editor could behave the same way as the bottom swatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon G View Post
    press "b" to break the line at the node point.
    Jon
    I did not know about this one, thanks!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and that I'd find especially useful, would be a more streamlined way to use node-reduction smoothing... When drawing with the freehand tool, I find the best line quality (subtle changes preserved with fewest nodes) is achieved through a low percentage setting for freehand smoothing, followed by node-reduction (shape-editor) smoothing. (Increasing the initial smoothing for fewer nodes, doesn't preserve the line character as well)... In most cases, I smooth all nodes, and smooth them at 100%. It would be great to simply select an object -- without switching from the freehand tool -- then click a toolbar button or hotkey to have the whole object smoothed at 100% (preferably implemented so the percentage could be optionally backed off with the mouse wheel while the object was still selected)... Of course, if there was a way to get the same line quality with a preset, without needing to use both smoothing sliders, that would be ideal... In any event, I think smoothing an object 100% with a single click would be useful for many people. Currently it's relatively labor-intensive.

An addition to the toolset I would find valuable is an 'anti-smoother' -- a slider to incrementally add jaggedness to a line or outline. It would complement feathering and noise as ways to remedy the sometimes stark look of vectors.

And how about a toggle button to automatically deselect newly created objects? A 21st century alternative to gluing one finger to the escape key...

--Ned

Another feature I was thinking about (although I'm pretty sure this must have been previously suggested) is a stroke shape/pressure profile editor

It could be a window with a mirrored path that would define the pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stroke editor.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	41823  

You can dra n' drop images out of the Clipart Galery. It would be great if you could rag n' drop into a gallery as well. I requested this last time this thread was open but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by gbredon View Post
    You can dra n' drop images out of the Clipart Galery. It would be great if you could rag n' drop into a gallery as well. I requested this last time this thread was open but to no avail.
    Have you found it useful to simply add a new folder of custom graphics to the clipart gallery?

Click -> Disc Clipart ->Browse to folder -> Click 'Add' Allow Xara to create index. Done

How would you save a part of an open drawing in the clipart gallery for use at another time? Before I moved over to Xara I used a program called Professional Draw. It allowed me to drag a whole drawing or any highlighted part of one into a gallery and immediately prompted me for a name for it. I found this a very convenient and quick way of keeping commonly used drwings or elements of drawings in one place.

How would you save a part of an open drawing in the clipart gallery for use at another time?
    Export the selection (ctrl+shift+E) to PNG,TIFF or BMP and save it to a folder that you can add to Xaras clipart gallery as previously explained.

But I want to drag 'n drop them in vector (.XAR) format.

Thanks for the responses.

You can export the selection as a .xar file (or any supported file type) and follow the previously mentioned steps.