Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What do you use xara for?

Quote Originally Posted by suunto View Post
    well i had some luck. . .
    it was bad

Make sure you haven't installed on the drive you wish to recover files from.

As per the warning on PC Inspectors home page

"To be able to use PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x you need a working WINDOWS™ System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive."

Quote Originally Posted by DGehman View Post
    Recreation, occasional (semi)technical drawings & graphics for freelance writing.

Suunto - it appears that you have stayed with the Windows option to hide file extensions... it is barely possible that Windows for some reason has decided that .XAR files are system or hidden files and therefore won't show them to you... in Explorer (not Internet Explorer), go to Tools > Folder Options > Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders and click on "Show hidden files and folders." Take the checkmark (tick) off "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected and operating system files (recommended)." ... fingers crossed... this is only a maybe
    Good thought, though even with extensions hidden (off) searching for *.xar will still give results, albiet without showing the extension (unless it's a shortcut, which is technically not a file type, so will show a pseudo extension)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	searchresult.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	41657  

Hi,

This thread was covering 2 entirely different subjects. If you're looking for the "What do you use Xara Xtreme for?" thread click HERE
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Risto Klint View Post
    1. Files don't disappear by themselves - you either did something accidentally, or you have a huge problem - like a virus or an application that messes with your file system in a way it shoudln't.

Again, hang in there!

Risto
    Thanks...............of all the files to dissapear it has to be my xara ones

Suunto - it appears that you have stayed with the Windows option to hide file extensions... it is barely possible that Windows for some reason has decided that .XAR files are system or hidden files and therefore won't show them to you... in Explorer (not Internet Explorer), go to Tools > Folder Options > Files and Folders > Hidden files and folders and click on "Show hidden files and folders." Take the checkmark (tick) off "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected and operating system files (recommended)." ... fingers crossed... this is only a maybe
    Thank you.................that was the first thing i tried to see if they were still in the folder, i kept even having a sneak look later to see they had miraculously returned

Make sure you haven't installed on the drive you wish to recover files from.

As per the warning on PC Inspectors home page

"To be able to use PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x you need a working WINDOWS™ System. Never install the current version on the drive from which you intend to recover data! The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive."
    you got me sledger.......i had done that but corrected it later..........still nothing

i'd love there to be a simply solution and i post it on here and feel like a right t** i'd rather that than not find them thanks for all your help guys, i hadnt' wanted to get two topics going on one thread.....just wanted to say what i used xara for............................nothing

Default Re: Where's all my xar files gone? Suuntos lost files thread

have i done this correctly? should i be searching for .xar or *.xar ??

heres what .xar got

Name:	filerecover1.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	41691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filerecover.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	41692  

got this too

Name:	fr.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	41693  

Time to back up any other files that you still have and wish to keep..

Depends on the software doing the scanning. I assume you have tried both?

got this too
    Assuming PC Tools isn't giving false messages, I'd take Paulands advice, then consider buying a new HDD and reinstall.
    As for finding your lost files, well it depends how much time you want to spend at it vs how important the files are. One would hope that if they were mission critical, they'd have been backed up in the first place.
    SPINRITE is a tool HDD recovery that I have used with success, but the process can take anywhere from hours to days to complete (depending on the size of the HDD and the speed of the PC) It will also cost you $89, which may just be better spent on the new HDD you probably need right now.

And, if the files are important, there are companies that specialize in recovering hard drves.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Time to back up any other files that you still have and wish to keep..

yeah man...........lesson learned, next time i have some files i'll do that

Quote:

Depends on the software doing the scanning. I assume you have tried both?

Quote:
    got this too

Assuming PC Tools isn't giving false messages, I'd take Paulands advice, then consider buying a new HDD and reinstall.
    As for finding your lost files, well it depends how much time you want to spend at it vs how important the files are. One would hope that if they were mission critical, they'd have been backed up in the first place.
    SPINRITE is a tool HDD recovery that I have used with success, but the process can take anywhere from hours to days to complete (depending on the size of the HDD and the speed of the PC) It will also cost you $89, which may just be better spent on the new HDD you probably need right now.
    they were mission critical and weren't backed up i'll try spinrite, thanks for the tip :
    And, if the files are important, there are companies that specialize in recovering hard drves.
    thanks, they are for my new website, i make everything in xara first................. file recover and recover my files didnt' find anything? could be they aren't deleted!!! but if they're not, i dont' know where they are or how they got there
    thanks all