Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Question about drawing

Just add a white fill?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Just add a white fill?

It doesn't work. I explained why up a few posts.

Point taken.

How about making your life easier and creating the leaf or leaves in Xtreme. Apply a white fill and you're in business. The leaf is a real easy shape.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.gif 
Views:	199 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	41499  

I explained above why I can't use a white fill. It will create a black solid shape once I get it into Photoshop cs2.

I explain it up a few posts.

I think I understand your goal?

I created my version of holly in XXP by drawing lines, filling them with a nice holly green then cloning a copy ontop, removing the line then sending the cloned copy to the back. Then the (now to front) leaf I converted the line to shape. The leaf spine also was converted to a shape. The leaf/spine then grouped and duplicated as required.
    Same process for berries.

The whole drawing was then exported to .ai and as you see opens in Illustrator exactly the same as drawn.

Hope this helps? (Xara file attached for you to use if suitable?)

Name:	hollyinXXP.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	41504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollyinAI.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	41505  

Attached Files Attached Files

ok.. now lets see if that will work for me for what I need...

Thank you so much !! Will let ya know what happens.

ok.. this is the outcome attached..

When there is a solid color it ends up a solid shape.

I am having a devil of a time. I think the only thing I can do is to draw it scan it and then trace it. I can't think of another way.

I can't even add the nodes and do line break.. I can't get it to even work for me.. will have to read a tut somewhere and see if I'm doing it right.

Thanks for everyones help.

Is this what you're looking for? Lines but no fill?
    ron

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	41507  

Yep I think going throught the tutorials may be the answer.
    Good luck and let us know what you came up with that was what you needed

Cheers

The fill doesn't matter, it's the way you import it into PS. Shapes are not vector objects.

from PS help:

About shapes and paths

Vector shapes are lines and curves that you draw using the shape or pen tools. Vector shapes are resolution-independent—they maintain crisp edges when resized, printed to a PostScript printer, saved in a PDF file, or imported into a vector-based graphics application.

Paths are outlines that you can turn into selections, or fill and stroke with color. The outline of a shape is a path. You can easily change the shape of a path by editing its anchor points. You can draw shapes in ImageReady, but you can’t work directly with paths.

When you work with the shape tools in Photoshop, you can draw in three different modes. You choose a mode by selecting an icon in the options bar when you have a shape or pen tool selected.

Shape Layers
    Creates a shape on a separate layer. You can use either the shape tools or the pen tools to create shape layers. Because they are easily moved, resized, aligned, and distributed, shape layers are ideal for making graphics for web pages. In Photoshop, you can choose to draw multiple shapes on a layer. A shape layer consists of a fill layer that defines the shape color and a linked vector mask that defines the shape outline. The outline of a shape is a path, which appears in the Paths palette.

Paths Draws
    a work path on the current layer that you can then use to make a selection, create a vector mask, or fill and stroke with color to create raster graphics (much as you would using a painting tool). A work path is temporary unless you save it. Paths appear in the Paths palette.

Fill Pixels Paints
    directly on a layer—much as a painting tool does. When you work in this mode, you are not creating vector graphics. You work with the shapes you paint just as you do with any raster image. The Pen tools don't work in this mode.

1. Create your shapes in Xara, use a fill or not, doesn't matter (see 4.)
    2. Import to AI
    3. Copy & paste as paths to PS
    4. Stroke, fill and boolean the shapes & paths to get the final shape...

or then just use xara to create & edit the shapes and bounce to PS like I explained. It's easy to change colours & strokes in xara and then create a new bitmap copy and bounce that to PS.