Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Question about drawing

Ok.. I'm not all that familiar with the "language" of xara xtreme pro.. but this is my question:

When I draw something with details.. lets say a xmas wreath for example.. I draw all the leaves and I move them all together to make the final wreath..all the lines that overlap.. is there an easy way that I have yet to learn on how to join all the leaves WITHOUT making it ONE line around the outside only? I want to keep all my individual leaves but just want to get rid of the overlap.

I am not making the wreath with a fill.. I just want the final outlines... without the overlap. Having a heck of a time figuring this out.

Default Re: Question about drawing

Could you post a simple examples of what you would like to accomplish? Your question is not very clear (to me at least )

Risto

yes.. let me do up something real quick and that will help me in my poor attempt to explain !!

ok.. this is just a quick example.. I drew a holly leaf and want to move them around and have some appear to be behind and move them around and eventually have the shape of a wreath.. see how messy it gets? Is there a way to have the overlapping lines cut off?? I want to end up exporting the finished shape as an .AI image so that I can use it in another way... so I want to keep all the basic lines... I can't have it be solid white or once I export as an .AI image it will be solid black.

Does that make sense??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollyleafexample.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	41484  

You can make your outlined leaf into a brush. In the movies that come with your programme have a look at "creating a brush, + editing a brush". These movies are found under Help, then down to Movies, the scroll down to Lines & Shapes and then tick the movie you would like to see. Play about with these brushes they may help. Took the ivy shape straight out of the clip art
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Albacore; 20 September 2007 at 05:05 PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

ok.. so what will creating it as a brush help me to accomplish?

This isn't a smart alecy question.. lol I'm serious.. I know it might come across differently...

I totally appreciate the help.

HI TammyKat,
    Try filling in all the leaves with any color, or lots of different colours to make it easier to distinguish (and select) them, place them where you want, and when you are happy with the result, select them all and click on the mesh icon on the left of the colour line, and the fills will disappear.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

But in the end won't I still have all the overlapping lines showing? I need them to not show through the other leaves...

Maybe I should show you guys what I want it too look like in the end by adding the color white... and then maybe it will be easier.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 September 2007 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Deleted unnecessary quote of the post above ~ Egg

ok.. see how this looks... this is how I want my end result to look.. but I can't have a fill color of white or any other color or else when I export as an .AI file and try to use it I will have solid black instead of the outlines that I need.

Does this make any sense yet to anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tk-holly2.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	41485  

No it won't be black in Illustrator. Exports from Xara work well in Adobe programs.