Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default .AI Export possible?

I'm using the newest Xara Extreme and exporting .ai doesn't seem to work at all. I've seen posts about using .pdf, instead, but why is .ai an option on export when exporting as such is of no use? I also notice the help section doesn't even mention .ai as an export option.

What I need is to be able to export in a vector format that I can import into Photoshop or Illustrator and still have it be editable as a vector. Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

Scott

Default Re: .AI Export possible?

Hi Scott,

How is the export to .ai file not working?

Xara Xtreme exports to an Illustrator version 7 format. You must also remember that many of Xtreme's features do not exist in Illustrator. Any of those features cannot be exported in an .ai file. That is why many posts recommend using pdf format to export.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello, just testing

Something that works. You can read a Xara AI or EPS into E3, and copy and paste vector into Photoshop. I tried this with PS7. I haven't been able to install CS after my system was damaged. In PS, you get paths. For whatever this may be worth. I thought other methods got rasterized when going to PS.

Rich

Each time Adobe upgrade they bring in new features and you can't expect the import filter to work for all all 13 versions so Xara imports all versions up to 8. From version 9, I think it was that AI introduced transparencies and they work in a different way than Xara so they best method to import an AI doc. is to use PDF. In nearly all cases this will bring all the vector information in an if it has any special effects in it these will be rendered as a bitmap. If you really have to import an AI file get the person to export as a Legacy file and it must be version 8 and not 10 which is the default in the newer versions of Illy. If you have any problems rither going down the PDF or Legacy way don't hesitate to come back and we will try and help.
    Design is thinking made visual.