Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I am still new to the world of Windows XP. In my fumbling around and making mistakes I have seen an Administrator login ID that I did not create when I installed the OS. I am just curious if this login is automatically setup with a default password during install. All the ones I have tried don't work. If there is a default I would like to change it to one of my own. Any help is most appreciated.

dafipp
    IP

WinXP and Win2K both create an account called Administrator during installation. The account usually default to no password, which you should change immediately if you use the computer to connect to the internet.

If a blank password doesn't work, and you have another account with administrative rights on the computer; download and extract the two files in the attached zip. One is a VBScript and the other is an asp page. Let your unzip program extract and create the path as well as the files. Log in using the account that has administrative rights on the computer. Use Windows explorer to navigate to the folder C:\Scripts and double click on the set-admin.vbs file. This will start the script which will open the asp file. The asp file is used solely to use masking when the new password is entered. Enter the password in the two text boxes and then click OK. The script will attempt to set the Administrator password (which will work if the account you are using has full administrator rights.)

The script is a portion of a larger script that I use to set the local Administrator password on the PCs in the domain I work on.

Attachment removed by Bill Taylor.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Bill,
    Thanks so much. I have the file now. You can take it back off the server if you want.

Now that I have someone who can help me I can't find the account named Administrator. When I look in the Users Account section I see three accounts. The two I set up and a guest account. When I installed I set up one as Limited and one as Computer Administrator but not named Administrator. Do you think there is still an account somewhere in my system with the name of Administrator?

Thanks again for your help.
    Dale
    IP

Dale,

Here's another script that will list the groups and users in the groups on the computer. This one is written to be run at a 'Command Prompt'. Extract the file and then open a command prompt and change directory to C:\Scripts. At the command prompt type CSCRIPT GRPSUSRS.VBS computername then hit enter.
    Replace the computername with the name of your computer. If you don't know your computer name, simply use a period. This is the WMI shortcut for the local computer.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks some more Bill.

Update: The script you gave me to change the password is not able to change the Administrator password even though I am running it from an account with computer admin settings. The second script shows a list of groups but I don't see any users listed. Thanks for sharing the scripts. I'm going to assume now that there is no Administrator account.

dafipp
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
    IP

You are very welcome Dale.

It is safe to assume that the Administrator account doesn't exit. You can't find it in the users applet in control panel. The script can't find it as well.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP