View Poll Results: The New 3.2 Transparency Selection Behavior - Good or Bad

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think not being able to select a transparent object is good

2 6.90%
  • I think not being able to select a transparent object is bad

27 93.10%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default New 3.2 Transparency Selection Option - Love it? Hate it?

After having worked with this new option (you cannot select a transparent object. or even a transparent part of a gradient transparency in which one value is 100%), I have to say, I really hate this a lot.

I know the reasons behind this feature and I know they make a kind of sense, but only if you really want something to be transparent and invisible.

I was working on a drawing yesterday that contained an overlay with a Linear transparency. And I could not understand why I was not able to select the shape. Then it dawned on me that I could select the non-100% portion but not the transparent area. It was totally frustrating and counter intuitive.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Gary

Default Re: New 3.2 Transparency Selection Option - Love it? Hate it?

Transparent does not mean it does not exist.

I want to be able to select an object anywhere within it's area, even if there is 100% transparency.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I agree. The only workaround now is to set transparency to 99.5% so it's still selectable.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You can still marquee select it and also tab through the selelctions, or put it on it's own layer and use cntrl A...

I think the you are just venting about a forced workflow change...

I had heard once, that griping about change is a sign of old age... I wonder?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hi,

You can select the object through the name gallery,if named though.
    Not if it helps with the issue of transparency and selection.

But I'd like this feature in future version of XX pro;
    Having an object gallery inside the layer gallery,showing auto-named objects when created on a layer(extended version of the name gallery,but this inside the layer gallery)

When you select the object in this tree,you can edit with all the tools.
    Also handy by ctrl+select multiple objects instead of the select behind feature
    on which i often have to use ctrl+z,because I'm selecting an object further down
    I must admit this is due to my lack of using the name gallery(what's hidden,doesn't get used)

Hans

I don't like it one bit!

The object should be selectable even if it's transparent.

I'm with Soquilli, Transparent doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've had to select areas that have some opacity or use the Selector Tool and draw a box around the entire object to select it.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Here's an example of how I use (used to use) transparency.

When I export elements of the Xara Xone graphics, some of which overlap, I place transparent, exact size rectangles over the elements. I export each section separately then reassemble the images as a table in my web page editor. In other words, I am exporting the image in slices.

I do this for a lot of site I work on.

Yes, I guess I could name these slices or put them on a separate layer, and yes John, I am grumbling about a work flow change. And yes I am old and grumpy. But some work flow changes make sense. Others feel like something that has not been broken has been fixed.

I have worked with all the new work flow changes in 3.2 and some I like and some I don't like.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transparency.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	41297  

I think I share Xara's logic on this one - 100% transparent objects now share the same selection rules as shapes with no fill colour. I've been flicking to Outline view and back to antialiasing to select shapes with no colour for years, and TBH, have been doing the same for transparent objects too - I hadn't noticed that you couldn't previously select them until you said.

Venturing off the original topic quickly, this week I replaced my ageing CPU with a fresh one, some new memory and an XP Pro reinstall. Nice to see that Xtreme Pro no longer crashes with the Athlon 64's hardware DEP enabled (though XPE still needed the exception to be added). XXP files on a dual core Athlon 64 X2 - I thought it was fast before...

Actually you can select a shape that is 100% transparent, just not with the selection tool.

Instead, cycle through the shapes using the tab key until your transparent shape is selected.

Not very convenient, but a usable workaround.

- Andy

Yes I guess the point is, for me, as has been made above - you can select it - and you can select it with the selection tool if you have a new view window open in outline view
    Last edited by handrawn; 13 September 2007 at 03:02 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...