Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I use ACTIONS in PS CS3 Extended

Umm Ive just downloaded 300 new PS actions, but dont know how to use it.
    I first open a new file 1300x1200. Pressed ok. I used the Type tool to enter some words. Then i press Alt+9 for the actions toolbar. I loaded one action called ( Action Fx Wicked REd) I press the arrow down and it has a BUNCH of options. I am SUPER UBER NOOB in using Actions, If anyone that can help explain this would be GREAT.

Wats a script? What does it do?
    IP

Default Re: How do I use ACTIONS in PS CS3 Extended

Hello,
    Here are several flash movies on playing and recording actions:
    http://simplephotoshop.com/photoshop...ns_palette.htm

(all created in Photoshop CS environment but apply to CS3 as well)
    IP

How can you afford PS extended without being able to handle "actions"?
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Giving the benefit of doubt that the software is legal and purchased at the full price, I also wonder why so many jump in at the deep end with the full blown Photoshop when Elements or PainShop pro would be a better bet.
    IP

Give Em a break. If he has extended, he either paid or didnt'. Doesn't matter to us does it. Maybe he's working on the trial?

With that out of the way, actions can be set up to have "stops" in them. A stop is where you can manually manipulate part of the automatic process. It's useful because a photograph might need a custom setting depending on that photo's size or brightness level for example.

If you are confused by an action, it's obviously running through commands you haven't been introduced to yet. I would recommend avoiding that action, or looking for the instructions on the site you got them from.. Just know that an action is a prerecorded set of steps that you can do yourself from within the menus. Actions are like recorded versions of IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > AUTO LEVELS. Instead of having to keep going to that menu item, it's faster to just click the Play button.

You could also post the link and the name of the action so somebody could look at it from here and maybe tell you what steps you are encountering.

Are you seeing a mountain range? Are you seeing some kind of channel adjustment and you aren't familiar with it? It depends on how that action was recorded. There's no way for us to know that until we see it.

I've recorded my own actions for Image and canvas resize and there are no stops put into it. It just runs and saves the file instantly. try a few more actions and see if they are full automatic. You can also usually just click ok through whatever dialog comes up and the Action will continue.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    You can buy it boxed and perfectly legal for a little over a hundred pounds. You just have to be a student.

Sark
    IP