Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy How to completely remove extreme?

Sigh.
    I think I made the fatal mistake of removing Magix photo. All was fine until I tried to use some filters in Xtreme pro. Once I did I got all sorts of errors saying XPE 3 is not registered - and no filters appear. Charles did say there might be problems when I mentioned in another thread that I had removed magix.

The story gets worse. I have reinstalled the Xtreme pro package several time now and still get the errors. The only way to run Xtreme is with all the administrator privileges turned on and even then I have to OK it every time it runs as Microsoft doesn't recognize Xara as trusted. Not only that all my lovely xara thumbnails in explorer have vanished.

So. My question is: Is there a way that I can completely uninstall Xtreme pro on Vista so that I have to re-input my registration details. So I can start again absolutely from scratch.
    Last edited by Squeaky; 12 September 2007 at 11:14 AM.

Default Re: How to completely remove extreme?

I haven't done this but here's my suggestion based on using vista. All this will require admin access permissions. Recommend you back up the xara part of your registry first too.

Uninstall again using the control panel if you can. Remove any leftover xara folder(s) (copy your drawing files out first if they are in there). Open regedit and, if they exist, remove the keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\MagixXtreme]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro]

I'd probably remove Xara3D6 as well and remove its key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\Xara3D6]

If you have other xara versions installed do NOT remove those keys.

Then try a reinstall (run as admin), and on first run of ALL the programs, run as admin.

Hope that helps.

Stan

Smile Re: How to completely remove extreme?

Thanks for that. Although it didn't delete my registration it did seem to work.
    Don't know why. Vista Voodoo?

Re: How to completely remove extreme?

I spoke too soon. I'm back to the XPE 3 errors. This is really getting me down

REmove all xara products... wipe everything out of the registry xara related, then reload... should take about 20 minutes... (If you install from xara 1.0)
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I spoke too soon. I'm back to the XPE 3 errors. This is really getting me down
    I tried xpe on my vista machine and every time I open any image and then close the program I get an error dialog that says "xara picture editor has stopped working."

Does this whether I open it from its shortcut or within xara. I also tried running xpe as admin, and with all sorts of compatibility settings and still throws the error.

I'm running a pretty plain 32 bit vista setup, all the latest patches, updates, latest video drivers etc., newest xara CD version etc. so I'd say it's an xpe problem. I never use xpe so this is the first time I've run it on my vista setup. I'd say don't worry about it for now. Use something else to edit bitmaps until they fix it.

Stan

yes. I get that too. I also get it within Extreme if I am using bitmaps and don't save.

I also did the registry thing with no improvement.