Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Free Rotate Canvas

Had a bit of a search for this but wasn't successful.
    I don't think it exists for XXP - but when freehand drawing with a tablet and pen, it sure would be useful to be able to free rotate the canvas (page) as needed to achieve a comfortable angle while sketching just as you would with real paper. (Corel Painter does this..)
    I sketch best with the canvas rotated about 40 degrees counter-clockwise, I think because my arm isn't fixed at 90 degrees from my body

What say you all??

Thumbs up Re: Free Rotate Canvas

This would certainly be a big plus in Xara Xtreme Pro.
    One for the wish list.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Free Rotate Canvas

Nice idea.

I suppose you can select all and rotate. But I'd forever be rotating then undoing because I forgot to select all...

just tried it. Having to go from the tool in use to selection to rotation, then back to tool is pretty miserable...

You can download a trial of Corel Painter X and see how this works (very very well) for sketching etc.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...=1166553988629

Press 'E' to show the rotate grip then 'B' to go back to your brush/pencil or whatever you were using

You could try E3. I remember using pen tilt.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by molucca View Post
    You could try E3. I remember using pen tilt.

Rich
    What would E3 be ?

Well, I could rotate my screen (my DELL monitor rotates) though I am not sure it would work in between landscape and portrait orientation.

What if you zoom in so you cannot see the page and then do your drawing?

Or create a page sized rectangle, rotate it to a comfortable angle, and draw on the rectangle? You could put the rectangle on a locked layer so you don't keep moving it every time you draw.

Gary

Sledger,

Expression is a vector application developed by Creature House. I acquired it about the same time as Corel Xara.

About a year ago, it was bought by Microsoft. MS had a beta version that looked a lot like Expression, and had many of the features. During the development, the UI was completely changes, and many of the features weren't available. Some features have returned, however, I haven't been following the development. The application was to be offered only as a set of applications. There have been request for a separate version, but the decision to do that hasn't been made.

MS offered a free version of Expression 3.3 that was a Creature House version.

I use E3.2 to color my drawings, and draw mostly in Xara. The application is no longer supported. It was available for PC and Mac.

Do a forum search.

Rich

Fair enough.

I'm more interested in having Xara perform the free rotate canvas rather than other software. Though one can simply import completed sketches done in say Corel Painter in a similar fashion to importing scanned pencil & paper sketches

Having the ability to rotate the drawing area is vital if you are trying to draw with a tablet in anything approaching a 'real' manner.
    Expression, for all its faults and ommisions allows you to do this and its very much easier to draw while being able to freely rotate your page. Expression is better for drawing than Xara for other reasons as well for more than just it's brushes, but its overpriced being available only as part of a suite with other applications that are not particularly useful to everyone who just wants to draw, but thats outside of what is being talked about here.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 08 September 2007 at 11:29 AM.