Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Non-Curley Quotes for XPRO 3-2?

OK .... I do a lot of engineering diagrams where dimensions are called-out in inches (") and feet (').

Curely quotes just don't cut it. Is there a way override these? Assign a shortcut key of somesort? Or a specific value to enter from numeric keyboard (I don't think the old ASCii codes work do they) ?

Default Re: Non-Curley Quotes for XPRO 3-2?

I think the old ASCII codes do work, but I'm not where I can look up the code for non-curly quote, so I can't check it out. However, I did just key in the code for an ellipsis and it worked.

Make sure the code begins with a 0. Hold down the Alt key and type the numbers on the number pad. (Doesn't work with the QWERTY number keys.)

John,

Whilst you wait for someone to come along with the ASCII code, open up note pad, type in your feet & inches / copy and paste into XXP and they come in as you want. Just a temp workaround.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Alter UseSmartQuotes from 1 to 0 in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraXtremePro\Opti ons\TextTool

smart [non-curly] quotes are not in the standard ASCII code set - you could use windows character map to copy/paste them from a font that includes them
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Daniel, thanks for the registry fix.

Anyone know the extended code #?. I looked in Windows Character Map (Arial and Times New Roman) but did not see them.

I am thinking will add straight quotes to my default template and then copy them when needed.

John

Like I said its not ASCII - so there probably won't be one by default,

It would only appear in a font as an extended character - should the font creator have decided to included it as one of the options
    Last edited by handrawn; 06 September 2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi All,

Enclosed ASCII Codes for a US Keyboard - Not sure how the UK keyboard differs, but it may be a starting point. If anyone has an old MS-DOS manual, all the ASCII codes are listed there. Hope this helps.

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASCII Codes.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	41172  

The ASCII codes show the standard character set. To the best of my knowledge, whether they show as curly quotes or straight quotes depends on the font. Typically a serif font will show them as curly quotes and a sans serif font will show them as straight quotes. I stand to be corrected, but that's how I understand it.

Keith

true that quotes itself has ASCII [decimal 34] but not separate one for straight quotes

and you are right of course that the font could have straight quotes instead of curly - could also have both if straight quotes replaces one of the other extended set characters

Nothing lasts forever...