Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default cmx 6 export problem

Hi gang.
    Having finished my Cab Calloway CD cover design, I wanted to export it to C***lDraw as a .cmx file. Only because I have made some templates in C***l, and I preferred a vector rather than a bitmap for printing purposes. I got a spurious error message (see attached) for my pains, which, I suppose is nature's way of saying, "stick with Xara". I had the same result trying to export as a .cmx 5 file, and an .eps file crashed Illustrator (no surprise there) and when I opened it in C***l X3 it suffered banding problems and poor old Cab Calloway had no teeth! I rebooted and still got the same problem. I'm using Xara Xtreme Pro 3.0 on Windows XP if it is of any use.
    I haven't attached the .xar file, as it's 140KB, but will if anyone thinks it will help.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spurious.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	40970  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: cmx 6 export problem

What's up with exporting as a PDF? does that not work or are there loads of transparent areas.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about a .pdf export, there are some transparencies, but I'll give it a go.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

The .pdf option produced a workable graphic, but the text was a little odd, with the letters I and L looking as though they were in bold type and the rest in normal (see attached). I have noticed this before. Has anyone else? It could be a bug, I suppose.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab pdf extract.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	40972  

Convert text to "Editable Shapes" this will stop the "L's" doing silly things but before you do save a copy of the text to a new layer then save your drawing. Hide that layer before you export this will make the text still editable and stop you littering your hard disc with copies. Also with text and exporting as PDF put the text to the top most layer if possible prints better.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for sticking with me on this, Peter.
    Your advice to convert the text to editable shapes
    and bring to the front did the trick, although initially
    I thought it hadn't. It looked the same as my original
    posting of the sceenshot of the.pdf, at 100% zoom,
    but when I increased the zoom to 300% it looked fine.
    Weird eh?
    The workaround I used originally to create the template
    in Xara and print from there meant that as the results
    were so good, the original spurious error message was a
    blessing in disguise - it's one less reason for firing up
    C***lDraw!
    Thanks again for your time and trouble.
    Saludos,
    Bob.