Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation Fade image to transparent? PSP10

Hello one and all. I'm new and desperate. I'm trying to edit some images so that they fade to transparent (radially preferably). The image should be 100% opaque in the centre and gradually become more transparent as you near the edges. So that on a web-site the background gradually shows through.

I have been trying to work out how to do this for hours on PaintShop Pro X and Serif PhotoPlus 9 and cannot do it.

Can anyone please tell me how. Thanks in advance.
    IP

Default Re: Fade image to transparent? PSP10

First problem the only images that can show transparency on a web are Gif and Png.
    Gif is a palliated image containing a limited pallet of 256 colours Only one of those can be set as the transparent colour this means no partial transparency.
    Png can have the full 16 million colours and full transparency but older browsers and IE 6 downwards can not Handel it without some Java scripting.
    I will leave it at that for the moment until you tell me more as there are ways of faking it
    IP

Wink Re: Fade image to transparent? PSP10

Thanks for the answer but I've found out how to do it. I used a feathered eliptical selection and then pasted that selection onto a transparent background. Saving as a GIF while running the manual palette optimization allowed me to ensure the transparency boundery was generated with an error diffusion dither. It's not quite as good as a PNG version but it's compatible with all browsers without resorting to scripting (I want to avoid that on this site).
    IP

Default Re: Fade image to transparent? PSP10

Good solution - thanks for coming back and letting us know - always good to get feedback
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP