Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default getting rid of photo designer.

Poking around in my new Vista machine I notice that Xtreme loaded Magix photo designer and Vista does not give me the option of uninstalling it. Neither does Xara for that matter. I even removed Xtreme and reinstalled it but did not get the option to not install the Photo Designer.

Does anyone know of a way of getting rid of it on a Vista machine?

Default Re: getting rid of photo designer.

I assume getting rid of this aberration is the same with Vista as with XP. If you go to the installed Xara folder on your hard drive you should find a Majik folder and in there is an uninstall hidden away. It had to be hidden to try and stop people using it I suppose. The annoying thing is once removed its still offered as a photoeditor in the Xara options, so its there as a constant reminder of the dreadful mistake Xara has made.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 30 August 2007 at 11:08 AM.

Perhaps the uninstall being 'hidden away' in the majinx folder is because thats how things were done ten years ago - go figure
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I suppose its not a bad app. But a bit surplus to requirements to the professional who has in all probability had all his money sucked from him by Adobe.

I would have preferred to have the option to install it or not when Installing xtreme though.

Many thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    I suppose its not a bad app. But a bit surplus to requirements to the professional who has in all probability had all his money sucked from him by Adobe.

I would have preferred to have the option to install it or not when Installing xtreme though.

Many thanks for that.
    It is bad and should never have been foisted off on people along with a 'Pro' application, if that application is to be taken seriously.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 30 August 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: smelling error

The Photo designer is not a Pro app, but it is sometimes useful. The point is that the whole package is provided so you do not have to rely on purchasing some third party software if you want to do some pixel editing. It can do a lot more than XPE, and has a lot more effects. So it fills a small gap for now.

As to uninstalling it - hard disc space is hardly an issue nowadays so there's really no reason to uninstall it. And not having it available actually has technical implications and would require more work (certain parts of Xara Xtreme assume it is there).

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir View Post
    And not having it available actually has technical implications and would require more work (certain parts of Xara Xtreme assume it is there).
    Which parts? I haven't even noticed that it was installed until recently. I only tripped over it when doing a bit of housekeeping. If it impacts on Xtreme's performance I will reinstall it.

By the way I have been working with bitmaps a bit recently and notice that if I shut down without saving I get a Vista crash report - Xtreme not responding.

Charles - can you clarify whether removing Magix has implications for XXPro beyond the obvious one that you become (gratefully...) reliant on XPE once more? I've recently followed the guidance from this forum to get rid of Magix and haven't had a problem yet, but I've hardly been using bitmap features during that time in any case. Thanks

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
    By the way I have been working with bitmaps a bit recently and notice that if I shut down without saving I get a Vista crash report - Xtreme not responding.
    I've gotten that to. All I have to do is open a file that has bitmaps in it, make any change, close Xara w/o saving and get the following. Note that I did not open XPE, in fact, only moved an object on the page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XPro323Error.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	40914