Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default downloading brushes

I have downloaded some brushes for XaraX. I made a "Brushes" folder but I can't access them from the Line Gallery. Can anyone help. If it sounds like too basic let me apologize for it but I am an 80 year old newbie so have a heart.

Default Re: downloading brushes

Hi Carive

The way a lot of users load brushes is as follows

Open the xar file that contains the brush, and then close it again straight away but leaving xara itself open.

The brush will appear and remain in the line gallery for use in all other opened xara documents until you close the program itself.

You can do this with quite a few brushes loaded at the same time, but too many at once can slow things down

This method has the advantage that you do not need to place the 'brushes folder' in the xara program windows directory - something not everyone feels happy doing. Also if you were to do that - all the brushes would load automatically - which again can slow things down.

-------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

To get brushes to load into Xara automatically, put the xar file containing the brushes into the ./brushes folder of the xara root folder. They load and appear in a folder in the line gallery.

I've personally moved away from this however in recent time since I collated all brushes in the swap shop into a single xar file (and originally published for all to enjoy, but had to withdraw owing to a fine example of humanity at its best, which had the knock-on effect of killing my enthusiasm for producing tutorials for everyone). This was due to load times and memory usage of loading hundreds of brushes. Instead, I put them into their own subfolder in the ./clipart folder in the Xara root folder, and add them via the clipart gallery in Xara. Then, when I want to load some brushes, I just open the clipart folder and load the xar file that way which loads all the brushes I want.

Thank you and the philosophical ditty was not too bad. I enjoyed both.