Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tiff export problem -- gradient

This is the first time I've had a problem exporting Xara files to tiffs for insert in documents for commercial printing.

I've attached a .xar file showing the vector version before export, and the resultant tiff. You'll see that the color of the gradient has shifted to gray. I've tried this with two other versions as well and the same thing happens.

I can export okay in pdf, by the way, but this may cause other problems down the road.

Finally, this is a CMYK palette.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated.

thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Default Re: tiff export problem -- gradient

I should have mentioned that I use XXP 3.02 -- I have 3.2 but haven't had time to learn the new UI. If the problem is a known version bug with 3.02, I can upgrade.
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Quoted from Xara Help file:

CMYK colors and transparency effects
    When using any effect that involves transparency, including feathering, color calculations are performed in RGB. This is also true of Live Effects.

Transparency is described in Chapter Transparency.
    This means that if objects are defined using CMYK colors, that any part of them that involve transparency of these effects will be output in RGB colors, and this can cause slight color shifts when printed on some devices.

CMYK colors are best used when you require precise printed CMYK values (such as a company logo that has to be reproduced as an exact CMYK color), and thus typically would not be used with transparency or other effects that alter the color. It is therefore recommended that if using CMYK colors on shapes, that you avoid transparency or Live Effects on such shapes, or on any shapes that are on top or overlap.

Looks good to me if you export the tif as 24bit.

A bit later
    For fun, instead of using a linear repeating FILL I changed it to a Linear repeating transparency then exported to CMYK tif.
    This seemed to work better for some reason.
    And as you can see from screenshot below, there is a big difference in the way Windows Picture and Fax viewer and IrfanView shows the same image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winview_Irfanview.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	40822  

Use simple way for creating gradients like used from me, then you havent problems like your
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:59 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Quote Originally Posted by minimiro View Post
    Use simple way for creating gradients like used from me, then you havent problems like your
    Interestingly this method gives exactly the same results as my suggestion of using the repeating fade instead.
    Where Windows Picture and Fax viewer shows wrong colours, IrfanView shows correct colours.

See my post above for screenshot illustrating this.

Xara has some problems when rendering gradients in repeat mode with print preview turned on
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:59 PM.

minimiro.com

Xara has some problems when rendering gradients in repeat mode with print preview turned on
    print preview turned on ??

I can't seem to find any mention of a 'Print Preview' in Xara help or within the program? Where do I find this?

The (colour) problem I mentioned when viewing the resulting tif is with Windows Picture and Fax viewer and not Xara.
    View the same file with IrfanView, PaintShopPro or whatever and the colours are correct.

ie Xara's "show printer colors"

open my last attached xar file, and turn ON show printer colors
    Choosen colors are the same, but you can see deference on your screen.

Same is and with my attachment of davelash's xar file
    gradient that you see in his file is different from mine nevermind that we both used the one and same colors

and by me, this problem with rendering of colors in repeat mode for gradients are the basic for problem when you export same this repeat mode to CMYK tif
    using same colors in simple linear gradient Color-white-color is the decision of problems like this. Colors are showed and exported correctly
    that it is

minimiro.com

ie Xara's "show printer colors"

open my last attached xar file, and turn ON show printer colors
    Choosen colors are the same, but you can see deference on your screen.

Same is and with my attachment of davelash's xar file
    gradient that you see in his file is different from mine nevermind that we both used the one and same colors

and by me, this problem with rendering of colors in repeat mode for gradients are the basic for problem when you export same this repeat mode to CMYK tif
    using same colors in simple linear gradient Color-white-color is the decision of problems like this. Colors are showed and exported correctly
    that it is
    Ah right yes, I was looking for the traditional 'Print Preview' that shows how the page will print.