Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What tools do i have to master in order to do this....

Ron's French Horn drawing could have been done with Xara, Corel Xara, Xara X, Xara X1, etc. The basic tools have been there since day one. Ron just knows how to get the most out of them.

It's like the old Monty Python line about novel writing; The words are all there, the trick is getting them in the right order."

Gary

One thing I didn't mention but should have. The examples provided in these two folders are just that. The copyrights are still held by the respective artists, so you can not use them as "clipart". They have been graciously provided just as a learning tool to create your own works of art.

In other words... don't use those works and call em your own... Particularily to post in the gallery here... The folks here would notice real quick and "correct" you...
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

I'm going to try to do my own car illustration. I think I've got the general idea. The next thing is just to practice.
    "Good design starts with a concept"
    Syd Mead

Cars are pretty hard... just shy a of a portrait. I would try a pen or a pencil, or some other hand held tool to start with. You might get too frustrated with a car as a first big project. Ask Noman or Ron... I think they would agree... Cars are not as easy as they look.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

I tried a car a few months ago...I got through the line art part (which was not as bad as I thought it would be). But when it came to putting in the detail I just gave up. My style of illustration is more stylized but I would really like to get to grips with some semi realistic types of illustration. I agree cars a quite difficult...but a pen is not much of a challenge.
    Syd Mead

Don't speak so fast... there is not much difference between a well drawn pen and a car. It is just the amount of work involved. Drawing a well chewed pencil would be close to drawing a portrait. The same techiques are used in both analogies, just the time involved is the major difference.

We are talking photorealistic drawing here... not clipart/lineart. Big difference. I have seen threads here go for about 3 or 4 days with over a hundred posts trying to figure out how the lighting should be reflected just right off the side of a pencil. You work, and you work.. you experiment, and try this and that... Then ask.. and get 4 or five artits doing the same. Until it dawns on one of them the perfect way to get the light just right... then we all smack ourselves in the head and say... duh...

You want a challenge.. draw a teaspoon... It has to look just like the tea spoon from your coffee/tea. See how long you pull your hair out trying to draw the bowl of the spoon, or the design in the handle. Photorealistic is hard...

Believe me I know... That is how I draw...

(and why I spend more time taking photographs - cause it is quicker)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarapaint.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	40884  
    Last edited by raynerj1; 29 August 2007 at 03:22 AM.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook

Forget cars or portraits; crumple up a bit of paper (or a piece of clothing) and stick that in front of you and draw it. You will be amazed at how complex it is and the range of tools / techniques you have to try to get the folds and creases looking realistic.
    There is also the advantage that no one else knows how near reality you've got with your final drawing though everyone will be able to appreciate how realistic it looks.
    Alternatively a bowl of fruit, a cliché I know but very demanding to get the form and colour right and once you get started it becomes obsessive.
    The point being that no matter what you tackle, you learn which tools do the job best for you and then you can move on to the shiny stuff.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 29 August 2007 at 10:16 AM.

Hi,
    OK bearing in mind the advice you've given, I'm going to find an image to start with. I'll keep you posted. What so frustrating is that i give up. And this is definitely not in my nature. This is my 3rd time...let see what happens.
    Syd Mead

Start small it is so much less frustrating. That is why I suggested a pen... it is pretty quick and pretty forgiving. A portrait is the hardest and the least forgiving. One highlight or one shadow out of place and the picture is bad...

Personally... I would take a photo of the pen, then use it as a guide/model to draw your first photorealistic object. There are not many of the masters who could draw photorealistic without a model.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    Facebook