Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What tools do i have to master in order to do this....

I have attached some images that were done in illustrator. I am sure that theses can be done in Xara. I don't know what Xara tool can help me do this. Can you guys or gals offer any help?
    Regards
    Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	40794  
    "Good design starts with a concept"
    Syd Mead

Default Re: What tools do i have to master in order to do this....

It is not the tools but how you use the tools.

All of your examples require a very good technical drawing. Then you have to know how to achieve the effect you want, the gold or chrome for example, and then use the tools to apply the appropriate fills.

If you are looking for the easiest way to get images like these, then use a camera.

Each of the examples you showed took hours and perhaps even days to complete. It is a matter of starting with a good strong drawing and then replicating the surface materials with a series of blends, gradient fills, and so forth.

All of these objects can be created in Xara with significantly less effort than in Illustrator because Xara is more intuitive and interactive.

But first you have to have a certain amount of artistic ability.

If you want step-by-step tutorials that will produce similar images, visit the Xara Xone Tutorials Page. There are monthly step-by-step tutorials going back over 12 years.

Gary

I would suggest watching the videos that come with xara to learn what each tool does. Then try a few of the tut's graciously created by Gary. After that, your questions will be more to the point, and the folks here can show you at least one way to accomplish what you desire. Usually, tho, you get three or 4 ways to accomplish the same task. That is where this forum is so awesome... The easier the task the more ways to accomplish that task. Some tasks, only a truely gifted artist has figured out... then you might get only one or two ways to get there from here.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

What everyone has said. There are also some tools (and economics) things to ponder... that is, identifying the right tool for the job. Xara does not have an extrude (which is a major tool, or maybe THE major tool, in Xara's 3D package, so don't look to see it moving to Xara X any time soon)... and extrude would be a big help in all but the French horn.

The Monster video ?amplifier? could be done in the right tool for the job, 3D CAD (computer-aided design), in maybe 10 minutes by an experienced operator, then rendered -- another 2-10 minutes on today's machines. I count at least 7 extrusions, with 5 of them replicated 4 times each. The plugs would take longer.

And 3D CAD has all the functions required to build the revolver rapidly (for example, "machining" out the cartridge holes, extruding the barrel, "machining" the vented rib)... though a full model might require an afternoon. The rendering packages with 3D CAD allow you to make an illustration that simulates any material with one click, from blued steel to chrome to engineering plastics, with a single materials selection.... an arsenal, 5-10 different types, in an hour.

The economics? Compared to Xara, SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, and SolidEdge with full rendering add-ons are laughably more expensive...

Hi Jason,
    I have to use Illustrator at work, no way around that, and I find going from one to the other easy. What tools that you use in Illy you can use in Xara so if you only use the Pen Tool then use it. If you use the pencil tool use that its the other tools that are different just think of it as version 10 of Illy and things will come together easily.

As most folk have been saying to you try a few of Gary's tutorials from the Xone this months of August is a good one to get started on as it uses brushes which is totally different from the way you use brushes in Illy as you would expect as it is different if you were going to FreeHand. Your examples that you have shown are fairly straight forward if you did them in Illy as transparency is far easier to control in Xara.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by mindscapedesign View Post
    I have attached some images that were done in illustrator. I am sure that theses can be done in Xara. I don't know what Xara tool can help me do this. Can you guys or gals offer any help?
    Regards
    Jason
    It's all been said above. Just thought I'd include this drawing to show you it can be done in XaraPro.

ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	french horn.png 
Views:	364 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	40805  

Nice one Duke

And of course it looks better than the illustrator one!

Thanks guys. Much appreciated...Ron duke that is really impressive. Yet again you show Xara is truly under-rated. I was thinking it's about mastering the gradient tool (i might be wrong)
    Ron, I am assuming that is can also be done with Xara Xtreme? At the risk of sounding cheeky....can I see the xar file. I promise it will be used for personal purposes only. This is not my style of illustration but it's something I am trying learn.
    Last edited by mindscapedesign; 26 August 2007 at 01:04 AM.
    Syd Mead

syd,

I would take a look in the example 1 and 2 folder of the clipart gallery. There are many examples there of the techniques used. If you look in the xaraxone, Gary has written many truely excellent tuts (I think over 100) that cover Almost every possible thing you can draw (except photo realistc human portraits)

The xaraone one CD came with my copy of xara... (have yet to load it tho...)
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Hi Rayner,

I was looking at the clip art you suggested. That's very helpful thank you. I did n't even know these existed.
    Syd Mead