Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default X-Y positioning of objects on a page

I'm wondering if it is possible to change where on an object its X-Y co-ordinates are based on.

For example if I am trying to position a circle on a page and instead of placing it based on X-Y co-ordinates for the lower-left corner of the object I would rather place it based on the centre of the object.

Basically what I'm looking for is something similar to the rotation tools 3x3 grid that lets you quickly choose a rotation point for an object but instead would allow you to set the point that the objects x-y co-ordinates are based on.

Just incase it matters, I'm running Xtreme Pro 3.2.3

Thanks

Default Re: X-Y positioning of objects on a page

Welcome weetbix,

I know what you mean. Flash has this capabilty but as far as I'm aware Xtreme doesn't. Is there any particular reason your after this function?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome to the Xtreme Conference.

Not sure I know the answer to your question either.

Xara does have an X, Y Coordinates of Position setting (see attached) but this by default starts at the bottom left corner of the page and not the center of a selected object.

I suppose you could determine the distance from the edge of the object to the center and modify the position that way but it does seem like a lot of work.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-y-coordinates.gif 
Views:	260 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	40795  

@Egg
    It's a function that I quite often used with CorelDraw prior to changing over to Xara (Corel was supplied by work and is now quite an old version, Xara I bought for myself).
    I quite often make up templates for labels and do one page docs (probably better using a proper publishing app but you use what you have). If you are working with objects you need to position specific distances from both sides of the page it is nice to be able to pick say the upper right point of the object to base the X-Y co-ordinates on.

@gwpriester
    yep that's what I've taken to doing. Calculating out the objects required position is a little more work so it would have been nice to have a simpler way of doing (and as I mentioned above it was something I was used to from CorelDraw). Also by default the x-y position includes the thickness of the line. If I based it on the centre of an object then I could ignore the line thickness (of course assuming it didn't matter).
    I'm sure I came across an option to base position on the outline rather than the line thickness in the help but I will have to go back and reread to find it again.

Oh well . Might be something to stick in the requests for new features

wheetbix,

I'm sure I came across an option to base position on the outline rather than the line thickness in the help but I will have to go back and reread to find it again.
    I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing but you could be refering to the "Scale Line Widths" icon/tool.

This has a very strange double function:

1: If deselected it scales up the shape but retains the same line width (as expected)

2: When selected/deselected it gives either the overall (including stroke attributes) or internal shape (excluding stroke attributes). Go figure!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yeah. Option 2 is what I want.

It really makes a difference when creating a placing objects.
    For example, when you create/size a box it is based on the outline of the object. Yet when you place it on the page using x-y, it basis the position on the outside of the line width unless you first remember to unselect the "Scale Line Widths" icon/tool.

Oh well just have to forget my Corel stuff and get used to doing things in slightly different ways. Anyway I much prefer using Xara over CorelDraw.

Quote Originally Posted by weetbix View Post
    I'm wondering if it is possible to change where on an object its X-Y co-ordinates are based on....
    So I guess an extension to this, allowing custom origin placement: (see pic)

I have a feeling this is one of those things that would take very little time to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coord.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	40835  

I think the thing is Xhris is that XXP ALWAYS uses the bottom left corner as the registration point. I think it would be useful if it was possible to use the "set origin position" to also set the registration point i.e. such that altering the registration point changed the X & Y co-ordinates as well.
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think the thing is Xhris is that XXP ALWAYS uses the bottom left corner as the registration point. I think it would be useful if it was possible to use the "set origin position" to also set the registration point i.e. such that altering the registration point changed the X & Y co-ordinates as well.
    I'm not sure what a registration point is; how is it different to the axes origin? The object origin can be changed to any of the four corners surrounding it, and the document origin can be changed using the rulers. Scale line widths determines whether or not the line stroke width is included in the object origin position.
    Last edited by Xhris; 27 August 2007 at 12:37 AM.

@raynerj1
    Good lateral thinking. I hadn't even considered using the selection "blobs" for that. Though it would only work for centring objects.

@Xhris
    Yep that would be a nice feature to have as well.

What I would like to see is the current "set origin position" button
    Name:  2007-08-27_101139.png
Views: 186
Size:  2.8 KB
    work in the normal "selection" stage as well as its current use with the "rotate" stage of an object.
    In the normal selection stage it would adjust where the objects x-y co-ordinates were based on. eg centre or top/right of the object.

Do Xara have a specific location for suggesting new features?