Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: X-Y positioning of objects on a page

@raynerj1
    Good lateral thinking. I hadn't even considered using the selection "blobs" for that. Though it would only work for centring objects.

@Xhris
    Yep that would be a nice feature to have as well.

What I would like to see is the current "set origin position" button
    Name:  2007-08-27_101139.png
Views: 183
Size:  2.8 KB
    work in the normal "selection" stage as well as its current use with the "rotate" stage of an object.
    In the normal selection stage it would adjust where the objects x-y co-ordinates were based on. eg centre or top/right of the object.

Do Xara have a specific location for suggesting new features?

Oops didn't see the next two posts before completing my reply.

What I am refering to is changing the objects individual point of origin.
    Just nicking Gary's screen capture from earlier in the post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen capture.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	40842
    and adding in the extra circle and arrow to the top right of the object drawn.

What I would like to see is that I can adjust an indivual objects origin point to the upper right, then punch in the location I want it on the page and xara would place the object based on its upper right point. This would be independant of the pages point of origin.

From what you are saying I can already adjust where an objects Point-of-origin is based. Is this for each object or only on a global page basis? I thought the dialog box you showed was for the pages point of origin NOT the objects. The objects X-Y location was still based on the lower right point of the object.

OK. I've just had a play with an object and some guidelines to see how this works.

yes this dialog setting sort of does part of what I want to do, but it does seem to complicate what I think should be a fairly easy task (you have to start working with negative positioning). It also changes the setting for every object on the page. I know you can change this setting whenever you want without it adjusting any current objects but it does take a few extra mouse clicks to navigate to.
    It also doesn't solve the issue if you want to base the objects location on the centre of the object.

I'd still like to see something along the lines if what I suggest 2 posts ago, reusing the rotate object "set origin" button.

At least for the moment I do have a way of acheiving what I need. The workaround that raynerj1 used for centring an object and now I know what those settings in the "Page Option" dialog box do.

Always a good day when you learn something new
    Thanks

Yes, centre could be useful to some people, and perhaps the extension to the general case of any point on an object. It could integrate nicely into a pop-up origin selector via the current rotation grid buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Origin.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	40845  

Weetbix,

You might like to look at Xhris's excellent Snapping tutorial. It's quite simple to snap an objects centre to a grid / guide / object.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I've pulled down a copy and had a read through it. Definitely one I'm going to go into fully tonight when I get a chance to play.

Xhris, Thanks for the great tutorials. Obviously a lot of effort went into producing a very polished product.
    Last edited by weetbix; 27 August 2007 at 08:34 AM.