Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modo

Default Modo

Ver.103 available at Daz, Platinum club price is $139.30 until 8/31. Upgrade to 203 or 301 at Luxology.
    http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/itemdetails/-/?item=5541

Last edited by Mike Bailey; 20 August 2007 at 03:12 PM.

Default Re: Modo

Never heard of it before - any thought on it?

Turan

Modo is like the next gen Lightwave application... Brad and some left newtek and went out on their own, about three years back now or so...

Modo is pretty much the whole package deal, and is a very powerful 3D solution suite... It has it's own fan faithful for sure...

This said, I have worked some with modo, and found it more awkward than say wings 3d or silo, or for that matter C4D... Like trying to model in Blender, after being used to Wings3D... ain't happening.... silo was different... they were all about custom config right from the git go, and the change over was painless... choose mouse config from list and go sort of thing...

That said, I kind of think that if one is used to working within a ui such as found in Hexagon, etc, then modo should be fun stuff to play with... that sounds kind of funny, but... maybe it's just the colors lol

Thanks for that very good overview.

As with all things it sounds like a case of old dogs v new tricks.

I've invested in C4D and Poser (both in time and money) and don't have a lot of either to invest in other apps. Obviously picked up Daz Studio and Hexon (when it was $1.99) but trying to get into them when I just want to chill out and draw something after a days work is a hard task!

Looking forward to seeing some work in Modo if anyone goes for it.

Turan

Looking forward to seeing some work in Modo if anyone goes for it.
    I will post something as soon as I advance around the learning curve.

Good stuff Mike - so you've gone for it.

Look forward to seeing some Modo art from you.

Turan

Yea, go Mike go... we look forward indeed

Quote Originally Posted by gidgit View Post

This said, I have worked some with modo, and found it more awkward than say wings 3d or silo, or for that matter C4D... Like trying to model in Blender, after being used to Wings3D... ain't happening.... silo was different... they were all about custom config right from the git go, and the change over was painless... choose mouse config from list and go sort of thing...

That said, I kind of think that if one is used to working within a ui such as found in Hexagon, etc, then modo should be fun stuff to play with... that sounds kind of funny, but... maybe it's just the colors lol
    I'm painfully becoming aware of this fact myself. I bought and paid for Modo 103 and its' quite clumsy compared to Silo.

I'm just really upset that Nevercenter left out partial subdivision in the 2.0 release. I think they are planning on bringing it back but after all this time and all the folks that really wanted PartialSub to make into this release it didn't!! So I got mad and refused to upgrade until it's added in. I'm still upset over that!!!

Then DAZ had to go and make a deal with Luxology and I caved in. At first I was floored. You can streamline the entire interface to your liking, more so then Silo, and the tool set seemed really nice but as it turned out some tools were just unresponsive in some areas like sculpting. It was like dragging around a 2 ton ball to get the cursor to respond only to see nothing happened. At least in Silo this is not the case. It's like working with clay.

I tend to like more traditional modeling standards and Modo seems to like a smoother/sleeker way so if your trying to follow a traditional modeling tutorial you will be instantly lost since some of the tools are named differently and I found that just creating a sphere and trying to get it to resemble what was going on in the tutorial was just fast becoming too much effort and working my nerves. So I saved and closed the program.

I really wanted it so I could upgrade to 301 for the advanced paint tools but I think I may hold off and ask for a refund after all. I'm just not really loving the idea at this point of buying something and then not getting it and giving up and have it sit gathering digital dust and all that money out the door.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard, did you get Zbrush?

Modo? yea, its expensive. Sorry your bummed, I've been playing with it, taking some time to learn, Im going to stick with it, I think it will be worth it once I get used to working with the program.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 24 August 2007 at 12:37 AM.

Yup. I'm the prowd owner of ZB3. I'm awaiting my training DVD before I even attempt to get into it!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---