Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem file: picker balking at color in non-editable layer

So far, I haven't been able to reproduce this problem in another file, but I have reproduced it in the same file in both Xtreme and Xtreme Pro.

I'm stripping down a graphic for use as possible bag art for an upcoming event. I've created a rectangle with the bag color as a bottom layer (not background) which is visible, but not editable.

On the "pda" layer, you can select various shapes (for example, the META shapes and the round buttons) and try to replace the fill from the bottom layer via the the color picker, but the picker won't pick up the fill color. It will take the fill from the rectangle that's on the same layer as the target element. I had a similar result with the earpiece element on the "stethoscope" layer.

Every so often, the picker will take the fill from the bottom layer after multiple tries, but it isn't repeatable on demand.

Most of the affected shapes were wmf clipart originally. The META shapes are not, but they've been used in many different files over the years. Most, if not all, the affected shapes were members of nested groups in the vector image I'm stripping down. All grouping is off when I try to change the fill.

I'd appreciate it if someone would see if it's happening for you. My guess is that it has something to do with the grouping, since I can copy one of these shapes into another file and change the fill from a locked layer on the first try.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by amoore; 15 August 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Default Re: Problem file: picker balking at color in non-editable layer

Alison,

I often find this ~ I think it's just a quirk ~ the colour picker won't pick up the first colour it roll's over. However, I find if you roll over another on screen colour and then return to the first colour you wanted it will now pick it up.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Problem file: picker balking at color in non-editable layer

Thanks, Egg. You're correct that it will pick up the second color even if it's from the locked layer. Interestingly, it picked up the white background on the first try, but not the green from the locked layer.

Quirk, it is then.