Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Attributes Bug?

Default Attributes Bug?

In xxp3.2, with the option 'Give new object most recent attributes' ticked, I can't draw a line segment with no width. It's automatically set a to .67px black line. I can draw a closed shaped with no line width, but not an unclosed line segment. This behavior is true for the freehand and shape editor tools, but not for the pen tool.

I can draw a no-width line segment with 'gnomra' unticked, but I need it ticked.

I tested this on two machines, with my customized install and a raw install, and this behavior is consistent. In xx1.1 I didn't have this limitation. I won't go into the details of why this is important to me, but it's essential to my drawing method.

Is this behavior a bug? Is there a reg hack which will allow me to draw a line segment with no width, with 'gnomra' ticked, using both the freehand and shape editor tools?

Ned Addie

Default Re: Attributes Bug?

I think this was intended and not a bug. I think Xara felt it was unintuitive for new users who had gnomra set to draw shapes that had invisible lines, and that it might confuse people. I don't know if you can change it back to the old behaviour.

For anyone who's as confused as I was:

gnomra = "Give new objects most recent attributes"

gnomra - Thank's Allison, I was to afraid to ask!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    gnomra - Thank's Allison, I was to afraid to ask!
    That term must be really scary, then. I imagine there's not much that frightens you.

I have experienced the same problem. Sounds like another case of making changes so Xtreme would be more like another program.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Xhris and a4hire both suspect the behavior I described is intended to help out new users. I'm also suspicious -- but if Team Xara was really 'iipnufail' (interested in protecting new users from an invisible line) why wouldn't this 'iipnufail' extend to invisible empty shapes, invisibility via the pen tool, and the 'don't give new objects current attributes' mode? The lack of consistency gives me hope that it is a bug, or at least behavior which can be remedied.

I've been transitioning from xx1.1 to xxp3.2, and have had to track down and un-change various (undocumented!!) changes which are detrimental to how I work -- iow, I was fortunate to find hacks for 'TransparencyBecomesCurrent', 'LoadCurrentAttributes', and 'Freehand end hit-detect'. Give me invisible lines, and I can finally close my stalwart, but mouse-zoomless, xx1.1 for good.

Ned Addie

There are a few things like this that seem inconsistent in the new version logic. I personally now feel that correcting for invisible lines etc. may not be the right thing to do. With GNOMRA not set by default, and thus as the users choice, the user will be aware of the fact that line thicknesses of 0 on closed shapes will mean line thicknesses of 0 on unclosed shape (lines). Or perhaps the line attribute of a closed shape should be distinct from the attribute of a line stroke. Hopefully the logic will be addressed in future versions (if enough people complain).

Another problem (perhaps - which is also a fix for you) is to feather a line and GNOMRA will remember, allowing you to draw invisible lines. (GNOMRA BTW is a legitimate acronym; it wasn't just made up.)