Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default For techies especially: dual processor support?

Does Xara in any of its flavors have a switch, ini, registry entry, option (call it what you will) that takes advantage of dual processors?

I have a pre-dual-core 2-Xeon workstation... software that supports dual processors works... duh... about twice as fast.

I'm asking because I've foolishly traced a highly detailed bitmap. The result is a 5MB .xar file that takes forever to work on. E.g., I asked Xara Xtreme 2.0f to select all (so I can simplify it) and it's still thinking about it, 8 minutes later. (No, I don't know how many points and fills.) And these are dual 2GHz Xeons... according to Windows Task Manager, one CPU is chugging away at 33%, the other at 73%, and I still have about 48% system idle process.

Default Re: For techies especially: dual processor support?

No Xtreme doesn't yet take advantage of multiple processors. Converting programs written for single processors to run on multiple processors is a huge and complicated task. It's on the wish list for future versions however, as we know multiple processors are the future.

Thanks, Charles. By the way, many many thanks for that arrowhead Shape Editor tool that has saved me from having to master Bezier curve handles -- truly a genius concept.

Hope the multiple-processor project works out. As a non-techie member of a company dabbling in massively parallel computing in the 1980s, I dimly remember engineers squabbling about how tasks should be divided up for what processing... good luck!

I've got a Core 2 Quad, so I'll be vewy happy when multiple processors get supported. (Even though; Xara already runs like a breeze)
    Last edited by Skaven252; 22 July 2007 at 05:17 PM.