Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello,

I checked with Chris Dickman about the difficulties we've been having logging in (oddly enough, I'm having a really good session right now).

He told me that the people at info-pop were having some technical difficulties and that the slow response times we've been getting had nothing to do with the traffic of the i-us site. Nor was this something that we as visitors could "adjust our screens" to make reception better.

Anyway, Chris told me he had confidence that InfoPop would get this situation fixed, and it looks like (at least right now) that they did fix it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Happy Web Surfing!

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hello,

I checked with Chris Dickman about the difficulties we've been having logging in (oddly enough, I'm having a really good session right now).

He told me that the people at info-pop were having some technical difficulties and that the slow response times we've been getting had nothing to do with the traffic of the i-us site. Nor was this something that we as visitors could "adjust our screens" to make reception better.

Anyway, Chris told me he had confidence that InfoPop would get this situation fixed, and it looks like (at least right now) that they did fix it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Happy Web Surfing!

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

From my desktop the access still seems pretty sporadic. How's everyone else doing? Are y'all getting into forum ok?

Athena
    Athena
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Athena,
    Have had no trouble getting into the forum for well over a week now.

So what's the word [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Now that it seems to be put together, is Eyewire going to start taking it apart. Word is in some of the other topics, that we may be losing some or all of the forums, like the content areas. Have you or any of the moderaters heard anything? And when might this happen this?

BR....
    IP

BR,

When I last asked Chris, I got the impression that some forces were still trying to do something to save the forums and some of the content areas. But I don't know who they were and how realistic a hope that is.

Now I'm going to be melodramatic in my paraphrasing here: the forums are slated for execution "the end of this year".

Athena's Editorializing:

Does that mean the end of november? That was the last month that was cited to Mark, the photoshop guru, in his eviction notice. I didn't have presence of mind to ask for a definition of "end of year" yet.

Yes, the content is going for certain. The content providers were paid for their articles, and tutorials (or maybe some were . . I am unclear about that). So that will cease to be paid for by Eyewire. And space will no longer be leased to the content providers (eyewire callously alleges that web hosting is not what their business is about).

I opted not to mention it because I wasn't sure. And if, in fact, the forums are salvaged, then I didn't want to scare away vistors. Everyone who reads this has the right to judge me as a gatekeeper of information for that decision. I do not regret that choice.

I also think that Eyewire has been courting the same attorneys that Metacreations courted. (I sometimes believe in conspiracy theories). Just disgusting.

But when I decide to get over my rage, I stop and think that it may, in a twisted way, be more honorable that they (eyewire) tell the content providers that their services will not be paid for anymore. As a freelancer, I respect a customer who honestly tells me that the project he had intended for me to do is no longer in the budget. I think it would be far worse to ask someone to do work and then not pay them for their efforts.

I am under the impression that although Chris and Arlen (co-founders of i-us) did sell i-us to eyewire, they were not consulted about the future massacre that eyewire had intended (perhaps all along). I have no factual basis for this impression except for the (perhaps naive) belief that Chris and Arlen would not sell their child to be sacrificed on the Eyewire altar.

Does it sound like I despise Eyewire? you're right I do. I really resented their stupid "smack abe" ads across the top and I resent like h**l that they seemingly have not worked harder to preserve i-us in the form that they received it. (But realistically, few would want to buy a company if the owners strictly stipulated how the company was to be used after the purchase.)

Sooooo what's my answer? all signs of life (forums and content areas) expected to disappear at "the end of the year". "End of year" to be defined later. What will be left of i-us? nothing I can think of. I don't buy eyewire's products. I make my own graphics. I did buy programs from i-us . . . apparently not enough.

So maybe they (eyewire) wanted to kill the competition. I just don't know. None of us may ever know. This place (i-us) is always a d*** soap opera.

I had a germ of an idea of an alternative (kind of an i-us forums phoenix rising up from the ashes) but as of this moment, my schedule has not allowed me enough time to actualize that idea. (I'm sorry I failed you.)

But there may still be time for a cavalry to rush in. (my dearest wish would be for Corel to do something because they DO value their customers. I wish I could say the same of eyewire. But the truth be told, I've never been an eyewire customer so I guess I'm "a nothing" to them. So be it.)

I think I've heard a phrase, "closing of a chapter, opening of a door . . . brings new light where there was no light before" something to that effect. I heard it in a Lindsey Buckingham song . . . I'm too lazy to find out which one or what song.

The Xara forum is set. I am under the impression Xara Limited will be stepping in to cover the cost of TrompeL'Oeil and the Xara Forum's future is pretty bright.

It looks like the rest of the forums may suffer from the balkanization of the i-us forums -- thanks to those Bas****s at eyewire. I will pick up my keyboard and write to Chris again to find more recent news. I hope we have at least 'til the end of november to find our alternative source of Painter discussion forum(s). I hope I have time to actualize my plan.

I wish I had a better answer, BR. This still grates on my nerves. But I do thank you for giving me a doorway to let my rants out. I'm normally not this reticent to address an issue, but I hoped that giving the "future of the forums" issue time to heal would save them. I don't know if that was ultimately the right thing to do.

Athena
    Athena
    IP

Hi All,
    In the event that some Low Life pulls the plug on this forum, I would like to say to all of you that it has been great communcating with you all. I certainly have been the recipient of lots of goodwill and good info(even the philosphy lessons). My plan is to stick with the program until the plug is pulled and I hope everyone else does too.
    Enough of that stuff. I have a few images ready to post showing some of how my work comes about. I need to write out the steps and make some kind of sense out of the images. I will try to post it tonight or in the morning.
    Take care All.
    Greg.
    IP

Hello friends,

Gary W. Priester started a thread called an open letter to eyewire in the the Xara X forum. Let's concetnrate our efforts there to petition eyewire to not slaughter this fine resource.

There is a very interesting and recent post there by Chris Dickman himself so drop by and see what he has to say about the issue.

(Greg, I agree with you. Life is too short to worry about the past or the future. Living in the Present ensures the highest quality of life.)

Thanks for your time and your support,

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

here's the link add your name to the open letter to eyewire

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on October 31, 2000 at 01:02 PM.

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on October 31, 2000 at 01:05 PM.]
    Athena
    IP

Hi all,

I just finished writing a rather lengthy post that I hoped would contain some helpful information for all of you.

I posted it a few minutes ago and it seems to have vanished into a black hole. I see no evidence that this thread has been closed, and wonder if you can tell me what may have happened to my message.

Fortunately, I composted it in my e-mail software and have a copy. If it's possible to post it again, it would be helpful to me to know that.

Thanks in advance and Happy Halloween! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinn

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Er...

" Fortunately, I composted it in my e-mail software and have a copy."

Actually, I didn't "compost" my message. Perhaps i/us did? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I meant to say, in spite of my fingers' inclination to misspell:

Fortunately, I composed it in my e-mail software and have a copy.

Sigh...

Jinny the Imperfect Typist [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Howdy Jinny!

smart move to compose (geeze I typed compost too must be the air here at i-us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) your message in email client or word pad. that's the best insurance that your typing time is preserved instead of blown out of the water by a net hiccup.

please re-post

Athena
    Athena
    IP