Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Remember Settings in new XX Pro?

THESE POSTS WERE JOINED BY MISTAKE, SO ONLY PARTS OF THE POST BELOW ARE BRIAN'S.

I've been using Xtreme for the past year to do simple line art drawings. I just downloaded version 3.2.2 of XtremePro after purchasing the upgrade.

I cannot get XXP to remember my settings when I re-open a file. The previous version of Xtreme did this just fine. I am about ready to go back to the old version out of frustration.

I use a custom, default template where the line weight, font size, and other attributes are set. I create a new drawing, there are my settings. Close XXP and re-open the drawing just saved, and all the settings are at the default, not my custom settings. For example, I use a line weight of 1pt, but XXP keeps defaulting to 0.5 pt. And, yes, I have the "Save settings on exit" box checked in Options.

I can change specific settings with nothing selected, click the Set button to make the changed attribute the Current Graphic Attribute. It works fine for the current session, but it does not remember this setting the next time I open a file.

How do I make XXP remember my settings as a default every time I restart the program?

I thought the 3.2.2 installation would read the defaults of your previous Xara version, but I guess it got tripped up.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Try this.

Open the .xar you used as your default template in your previous version of Xara using Pro3.2.2.

Then do a File > Save Template and in that dialog box put a check in the little box labeled, "Use as default template."

Then exit Pro and restart it. The new default document should then be used.

That is not the problem. It remembers my default template. It just does not remember the settings when I reopen an old file.

Just to be sure, I repeated the steps you outlined. When I open a document, the settings are not the same as what I had previously set them at.

Patent Guy,

Try opening a new page, which will open your default template. Now File / Import your old xar file. Test to see if your defaults are now correct. Now save that file with the same file name as the earlier xar.

Try reopening it and see if your defaults have been remembered.

Might just work.

OK. I open a new page. My defaults are there. I File/Open/Merge and the document still has my default settings. I save the file and close the file. I reopen the file and my settings are gone.

I still have Xtreme 2.0e installed. I open that saved file and my settings are there. I change the line weight to 8pt in Xtreme 2.0e, save the file, restart Xtreme 2.0e, open the file, and Xtreme remembers that I set my line weight to 8pt. I do the exact same steps in XXP and the line weight defaults to 0.5.

I've installed XXP on three different PCs and it responds the same on all three. I just installed Xtreme 3.2.2, and it does the same thing as XXP 3.2.2!

I just want XXP to remember my line weight and font!

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Patent Guy,

Try opening a new page, which will open your default template. Now File / Import your old xar file. Test to see if your defaults are now correct. Now save that file with the same file name as the earlier xar.

Try reopening it and see if your defaults have been remembered.

Might just work.

Hi,

No problem here,just tested it in 3.2.2

Try setting line width/font/fontweight with nothing(objects/txt)selected
    and then save as default template
    close file and open new,settings must be set now

Hans

Been there, done that, just did it again. XXP remembers the template settings when I create a new document. But when I create a document with those settings, save it, close it, and reopen it, the settings are gone.

I've compared my Options settings between XXP 3.2.2 and XX 2.0e and I don't see any difference, but the two versions are different when it comes to remembering settings.

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    Hi,

No problem here,just tested it in 3.2.2

Try setting line width/font/fontweight with nothing(objects/txt)selected
    and then save as default template
    close file and open new,settings must be set now

Hans

I only had this problem when I put a new CPU and Video Card in another computer. Resetting the bios to adjust to the new equipment evidently de-registers a lot of software. I had to re-register and realign about half a dozen software products dependent on certain programming "calls" enabling them to work.

sounds like a job for... remove and reinstall...

It is relatively painless... (not like any microsux programs).

I had to remove and reinstall xara once a week for a while there (special circumstances) and had no problems besides redoing the personalization (toolbars and the like). Each version installed great and I was out of operation for 15 minutes max... Full uninstall, full install.

I've installed XXP so many times on so many different HW/OS configurations that it doesn't take me long. I just installed it on a WinXPSP1a machine with a fresh install of Windows. (My normal machine runs WinXPSP2) Create a new file. Change line width, save file, close file, and reopen file. Line width is at default of 0.67pix. Is this what happens on everyones copy of XX Pro ver 3.2.2?

I just installed XX Pro ver 3.0 after removing version 3.2.2. It works like it is supposed to. Followed exact same steps as above, XXP remembers the settings. I uninstalled ver 3.0 and installed version 3.2.0, and it does not remember my settings.

Quote Originally Posted by raynerj1 View Post
    sounds like a job for... remove and reinstall...

It is relatively painless... (not like any microsux programs).

I had to remove and reinstall xara once a week for a while there (special circumstances) and had no problems besides redoing the personalization (toolbars and the like). Each version installed great and I was out of operation for 15 minutes max... Full uninstall, full install.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatentGuy View Post
    I've installed XXP so many times on so many different HW/OS configurations that it doesn't take me long. I just installed it on a WinXPSP1a machine with a fresh install of Windows. (My normal machine runs WinXPSP2) Create a new file. Change line width, save file, close file, and reopen file. Line width is at default of 0.67pix. Is this what happens on everyones copy of XX Pro ver 3.2.2?

I just installed XX Pro ver 3.0 after removing version 3.2.2. It works like it is supposed to. Followed exact same steps as above, XXP remembers the settings. I uninstalled ver 3.0 and installed version 3.2.0, and it does not remember my settings.
    I checked it out with line weight.

The attached file opens in xara xteme 2.0f with toolbar line weight set at 36pt [48pix], which is what it was saved as, and not at the template default of 0.5pt [0.67pix].

The file opens in xara pro 3.2.2.2 with the toolbar line weight set at 0.67pix [0.5pt] which is the template default, not at the saved weight of 36pt [48pix].

Save settings on exit ticked in both program options

Can anyone else verify this?
    Xara, Xhris - Is this the 'expected' behaviour? - Thanks

I would assume that the "save settings on exit" refers to those items that can be altered within the options tabbed widow (Grid, Page Size, Unit Type etc).

Line width, Fill Colour etc are set by the template and I wouldn't expect to change these anywhere else.

I can confirm that your test file above opens with a line width of 36 pt in Xara X1.1. It opens as 0.67pix in XXP3.2.2.2.

Strangely it wont save in X1.1.

I can never remember a xar file saving the last set line width on exit, so I couldn't say whether this is correct or not, but I would assume that the template it was saved under should set the defaults on reopening.

I do patent drawings, which all have the same attributes (line width, font, no fill for shapes). Until I got the new version (3.2.0), Xara always saved the current attribute settings with the drawing.

I would assume that the "save settings on exit" refers to those items that can be altered within the options tabbed widow (Grid, Page Size, Unit Type etc).

[snip]

I can never remember a xar file saving the last set line width on exit, so I couldn't say whether this is correct or not, but I would assume that the template it was saved under should set the defaults on reopening.

Hi PatentGuy,

Xtreme (Pro) 3.2 was changed to only reload the current attributes from template documents - it no longer reads them from normal saved documents. This seems to work fine for most users but is clearly a step backwards for you.

We usually make sure that you can get back the original functionality by changing a registry setting when we make changes like this. If you're happy to fiddle with the registry set the entry .../Options/Filters/LoadCurrentAttributes to 1 to re-enable the loading of current attributes in normal documents.

If you need more info about doing this just ask.

PhilM

Xara to the rescue,
    Phil is there a registry modification to change the behavior of the space bar back to toggling between the Selector Tool and the last used Tool, rather than Toggling between the Push Tool and the last used Tool. Thanks.
    adios

thanks Phil for the registry fix.

Sunland - have you seen this thread?
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ight=space+bar

thanks Steve,
    that works but only for using the space bar to activate the Selector Tool. It does not allow you to toggle back to the last used tool. I was so used to that behavior it was like breathing. It is frustrating, why change something to pander to a possible Illus. user and in the process frustrate the users who have already paid for the program and many updates. Please give us a way to change this and in the future it would be nice to include these options in the options Dialog.
    adios

yes I agree -
    all these little changes are actually starting to seriously interfer with the way I work, its bad news when we cannot have an option to revert

Steve and Sunland,

There's no registry setting controlling the Space bar behaviour because it's a hotkey and all hotkeys are controlled by a config file that describes whole keyset.

If you have Pro you can use Xara Xtreme Pro Shortcuts to remap the Space bar. From the Windows Start menu: Choose Start > All Programs > Xara > Xara Xtreme Pro Shortcuts.

If you don't have Pro then I'm afraid things are a little bit more complicated because you don't have the Shortcuts utility and it's difficult to manually create the right config file in the right location. In this case please let us know and we'll think about what we can do.

PhilM

Thanks Phil - guess what I'd like is what we touched on in another thread, and what Sunland has mentioned - if changes are made to things such as loading current attributes and hit radius for line closing then there should be a means of reverting to the previous behaviour in options.
    Registry fixes are all very well, but its not really good practice is it - it has an element of risk even for the experienced.
    Difficult I know to please everyone, but once used to a particular way of working, it can be hard to change - it may even outweigh the benefit of an upgrade.

WooHoo!!!!! Back in business!! Thanks, PhilM.

I changed the registry, and now the new version works like the old!

As for the Space Bar working like the old version, I changed the hot key. Instructions were in the help file. I normally toggle between a tool and the selector, so it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi PatentGuy,

Xtreme (Pro) 3.2 was changed to only reload the current attributes from template documents - it no longer reads them from normal saved documents. This seems to work fine for most users but is clearly a step backwards for you.

We usually make sure that you can get back the original functionality by changing a registry setting when we make changes like this. If you're happy to fiddle with the registry set the entry .../Options/Filters/LoadCurrentAttributes to 1 to re-enable the loading of current attributes in normal documents.

PhilM
    Now that Xtreme Pro 3.2 is fixed, is there a fix for the same problem in Xtreme 3.2? I checked the registry and there is no similar entry for Xtreme 3.2.

I bought both versions. I preferred Xtreme 2.0 over XXP 3.0. I still haven't decided between XX 3.2 and XXP 3.2, but XXP 3.2 is winning this time.

Hi PatentGuy,

PhilM

Xtreme (Pro) 3.2 was changed to only reload the current attributes from template documents - it no longer reads them from normal saved documents.
    That seems like a bit of a weird tweak. If I want my template document to have a set line width (for example) when I create a brand new document, why wouldn't I want it to continue to keep that setting after I've saved and loaded the document again?

indeed

If you don't have Pro then I'm afraid things are a little bit more complicated because you don't have the Shortcuts utility and it's difficult to manually create the right config file in the right location. In this case please let us know and we'll think about what we can do.

Hi Phil, I do not have the Pro version and would be interested in getting the configuration file/solution. Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
    Hi Phil, I do not have the Pro version and would be interested in getting the configuration file/solution. Thanks very much!
    Phil,wanted to bump this thread... any chance for a soultion to get back the orginal space bar behavior in the non Pro version? thanks.

PhilM
    Still interested Phil... what's the status on this?

Try the attached. We haven't had time to test it fully yet (particularly on Vista) so I offer no guarantees but any feedback is useful and welcome.

Just unzip the file anywhere on your computer then double click the file called "CopyHotkeysIni.bat". (Note that this script assumes that it's running on an English language version of Windows!)

The next time you start Xtreme 3.2 you should find the Space bar is mapped to the Selector tool like it used to be.

(If Vista challenges you for authority to write the file you will need to supply valid credentials.)

TO DOWNLOAD THIS ZIP FILE SEE POST #3 (Egg)

Phil

Thanks very much Phil!

My experience: After the install, startup then drawing a rectangle, Xara crashed After that it has since worked flawlessly. Thank you so much!

As the thread title says, I'm still hating that new Spacebar action.

I've tried (Oh! how I've tried!) to come to terms with it, but as I'm from a CorelDRAW! background and have used the Spacebar = PickTool method pretty well all my life, I find this change in Xtreme very very very difficult to get used to.

I mean... the PushTool? Jeez! Think about it for a second... you use the keyboard to get to the PushTool and then you use the mouse to actually push and then you use the keyboard again to switch back out of PushTool.

Hu-llo!! Has anyone heard of the middle button?

If the CDs haven't gone out yet, is it too late to change the action back again? Please?

Pretty please?

With a cherry on top?

Hi Brian

check out the last few posts in this thread [Phil's post #28 specifically]:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=28359&page=3
    hope it helps

Try the attached.
    Thanks, Phil. In Vista, rt-clicking the BAT and choosing RunAsAdmin works a treat. Once XX is opened, the Spacebar has its proper function back again.

Hi handrawn,

Yes, that worked a treat. I downloaded PhilM's file, unzipped it and ran the BAT using rt-click, RunAsAdmin (I'm on Vista). The next time that I started XX, I had the 'proper' setting for Spacebar back again.

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 31 July 2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Same subject

Default Re: Remember Settings in new XX Pro?

Sorry Folks,

Had a senior moment and tried merging 2 threads as they dealt with the same subject. Unfortunately instead of merging the threads I merged the posts by mistake so it's made reading this thread quite difficult.

If anyone has a copy of the"CopyHotkeysIni.bat" zip file PhilM attached, could they attach it to this thread again as the link has been lost.

Again my apologies.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sorry Folks,

If anyone has a copy of the"CopyHotkeysIni.bat" zip file PhilM attached, could they attach it to this thread again as the link has been lost.

Egg
    I keep way too many files on my server! Here is a copy of the file . . .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank's PatentGuy. You've saved my bacon.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host