Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Quickly adding colours to a document

I don't like to say "no, no good" to changes to established functions or processes so I've sat on this for a while, but it's still bugging me.

I'm trying to get to grips with XXP 3.2's new colour handling, that there are no named colours by default. I know that I can turn the feature off and go back to how it was but I like the idea of keeping documents clean in the spirit of the change. I am finding creating named colours too slow, though.

In the olden days I'd use the standard named colours (Red, Blue etc) to knock up a quick document, and then make global changes to the colour of the document by using the Name gallery to select all the red items, or editing the colour 'Red' to be a different colour (yes, then it's name is wrong, but all the red items change colour at the same time).

Short of making used palette colours automatically become named colours to let me continue, I think there is a quicker way: at the moment I have to open the Colour Editor and then create a new named colour. Could this be added to the context sensitive right-click menu when right clicking on a palette colour? It would speed up my workflow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	addcolour.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	39739  

Default Re: Quickly adding colours to a document

Hi

What I have done in the past is change the default template - so add a series of named colours 1, 2, 3 etc. Or 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c etc (where b and c are variations of a).

This also gets away from 'red' when it is pink!

**I've added a sample
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stlewis; 11 July 2007 at 01:30 PM.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

To keep the document clean, Macromedia FreeHand includes menu command Delete unused colors. This really makes sense after the design is done so such command could be useful in Xara as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    To keep the document clean, Macromedia FreeHand includes menu command Delete unused colors. This really makes sense after the design is done so such command could be useful in Xara as well.
    You can do that from the Color Gallery. If you select colors and hit delete, it asks you if you want to delete all of the selected colors, or just the colors that are not currently in use.

I would be neat if that was in a menu somewhere though, as you mentioned. Since the color bar has menu functionality of it's own, it could possibly be added there.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Xtreme Pro 3.2 has delete unused colors in the View Options.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unused-colors.gif 
Views:	233 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	39761  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If you select colors and hit delete, it asks you if you want to delete all of the selected colors, or just the colors that are not currently in use.
    This does not seem to work always as expected. In some cases, certain colors are not in the Name Gallery but still appear in the Color Gallery and the Delete command warns that they are used in the document when they are not. A bug?

Xtreme Pro 3.2 has delete unused colors in the View Options.
    I know that. But that's a global option, not document-specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I know that. But that's a global option, not document-specific.
    True, but the Options palette is readily accessible, so you can turn the option on and off without too much trouble.

Well, if you prefer it turned off most of the time, then in specific document you have to turn the option on, close the document to clean the colors, and then NOT FORGET to turn it off again. So it can be quite a trouble :-)
    Last edited by Josie; 12 July 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: mistake

Yes, of course. But that's true with other options and system behaviors, too. For example, the new bitmap-replace default. It's wonderful if I happen to need Xtreme to work like that. Most of the time, I don't. So now, I have to make an extra effort to do my normal work.

I expect we'll run into many more of these things as Xtreme becomes more complex.