Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do You Place Text On Object?

Hi all,

I just downloaded a trial of Xara 3D. Very cool software! How can you place test anywhere on an object. Example if you had a bare soda can and wanted to place text on the top and sides how can you do that. Will it also be able to rotate in sync with the 3D object.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jeff

Default Re: How do You Place Text On Object?

Welcome Jeff,

Basically you can't do what you're asking in Xara3d.

Xara3D is not a fully functioning 3D program like Cinema, Bryce etc etc. It's main purpose in life is to extrude text into a 3D object. There are some ways to achieve what your after but you need to know the program quite well and do a lot of searching/reading of this forum to find out how.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You can sort of, at least by the method I would use. But you will need a GIF Animator or Xara Xtreme.

You make the can in Xara3D (an ellipse extruded out and rotated)

Then it's a matter of advance the can a few frames for each label addition in to a GIF animator, like there is in Xara Xtreme.

Example:

I copy the can in Xara3D and paste it into Xara Xtreme GIF Animator
    I apply the label

I go back to Xara3d - slide the rotation slider to the next notch, copy and paste into Xara Xtreme

I do the same for the third frame.

Note one may have to skew the label abit and use clip view, so the label appears to disappear around the edges of the can.

Also, note that when you paste a Xara X document , it come out in bitmap form and has a rectangle. You may have to trim around the can to get the can shape only. If you don't, clipview will act funny and try to edge out on the rectangle on not the can. Or, you can make a no line/no fill clipping mask for the can and apply the label that way.

You'll have to get the right rotation on the can, so a bit of the top can be seen to make the rotation realistic.

I didn't spend much time on this, so the quality isn't that good and it's only 3 frames. You will need more to simulate the complete 360 degree spin of the can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canxarax.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	39693  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 10 July 2007 at 04:49 AM.

Here's the can rotation I used in Xara3D. Same can as previous post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Funny shape cans you Americans have James.

If you draw a line in XX and paste it into X3D, you will have a square like stick on which to apply any texture.
    If you slightly extrude this and give it a large 'curve' or 'round' 'bevel' it will now look like a round rod. Your favourite label will rotate nicely on this.

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    Funny shape cans you Americans have James.

If you draw a line in XX and paste it into X3D, you will have a square like stick on which to apply any texture.
    If you slightly extrude this and give it a large 'curve' or 'round' 'bevel' it will now look like a round rod. Your favourite label will rotate nicely on this.
    We enjoy the ingesting the odd bubble that develops in the mal-formed cans.

Stick eh? And here I was taking the time to actually draw stuff. hrummph. D a r n those Xara people for making things easy.