Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie - PSP 5.0 vs Corel Paint Shop Pro XI?

Hey there, I'm new to talkgraphics.com and I know this is an adobe forum but I was wondering, which program is better suited for a graphics newbie to use?

I'm a beginner and I'm not looking for anything amazing, I just want to be able to make decent personal pics and layouts as a hobby. I'm tossing up between Adobe Photo Shop Elements 5.0 and Corel Paint Shop Pro XI?

Any advice would be great =]
    Last edited by Subliminal; 03 July 2007 at 08:52 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Newbie - PSP 5.0 vs Corel Paint Shop Pro XI?

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Hey there, I'm new to talkgraphics.com and I know this is an adobe forum but I was wondering, which program is better suited for a graphics newbie to use?

I'm a beginner and I'm not looking for anything amazing, I just want to be able to make decent personal pics and layouts as a hobby. I'm tossing up between Adobe Photo Shop Elements 5.0 and Corel Paint Shop Pro XI?

Any advice would be great =]
    Go with Xara pro and Ellements 5 this is a super powerful mix you could do almost any graphics job with the two programs.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
    Go with Xara pro and Ellements 5 this is a super powerful mix you could do almost any graphics job with the two programs.
    Agree - and look into programs like ArtRage [$20] and Artweaver [free] for adding more 'arty' tools.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

thank you! But when you say 'combine' the two, the only way to take advantage of both programs would be to create a picture in adobe and then add any other stuff towards the end in the separate program yes? Sorry, I'measily confused
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    thank you! But when you say 'combine' the two, the only way to take advantage of both programs would be to create a picture in adobe and then add any other stuff towards the end in the separate program yes? Sorry, I'measily confused
    Avoiding the technical stuff - there are two types of drawing tool:
    vector [eg: xara]
    bitmap [eg: photoshop]

They have different tools. You start in either, and use the other where necessary; they are separate techniques.

Downloading the trial versions and reading round the forums should help you to appreciate the difference.

If you want to make drawings like Ron Duke's excellent cars for example, then that is vector:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=27432
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

The reason they're suggesting the two apps is... I just want to be able to make decent personal pics and layouts as a hobby...Pics as in photos (bitmaps) are best edited in Photoshop (Elements 5 is just fine), Layouts are better acheived in a vector app such as Draw, Xara, or Illustrator. It can also be easier to create simple artwork in a vector app.

Incidently, Draw (CorelDraw) comes with both a vector and bitmap (Photo) app. Personally I like Draw for vectors, but prefer Photoshop for bitmaps.
    If you want just one of the apps you quoted, go for PS Elements 5.

Sark
    IP

Here is an article on "Paint Shop Pro vs. Photoshop Elements"
    http://paintshoppro.info/tutorials/p..._photoshop.htm
    IP